Winchester 1894 30-30 serial number

wonl

Inactive
Greetings, I just purchased a 1961 Winchester 1894 30-30 rifle. The serial number on the bottom of the receiver and determined that the rifle was made in 1961. However there is another number stamped on the bottom of the buttstock just behind the lever. The serial number of the rifle is 7 digits long and the buttstock number is 9 digits long. They do not match or even close to matching. Anyone have an idea what the stamped number on the buttstock signifies? Thanks in advance for all replies!

Wonl

Not an expert by any means, but...

Several different sources say that the highest serial number for Model 1894 Winchesters is in the neighborhood of 6,590,000. So the correct serial number on your firearm is, as you note, found on the bottom of the receiver.

I've handled and owned multiple 1894 models and have never seen a 9 digit number stamped on the stock or elsewhere. Some specimens have an agency inventory or rack number applied in various places, but those I have observed seldom have more than three or four digits.

The Winchester Collectors website: https://winchestercollector.org/ may be able to help you with your question.

I just purchased a 1961 Winchester 1894 30-30 rifle.
No, you didn't. You purchased a Model 94 rifle, and probably a carbine at that. There is a difference between the Model 1894 and a Model 94. On the barrel, it says Model 94.

The other number is a descriptor number. It was applied to describe the options on the rifle when it left the factory.

Another possibility, the Social Security Number is 9 digits. POSSIBLY a previous owner stamped his SSN on the stock (without dashes).

Generally, part numbers and assembly numbers are much shorter than 9 digits.

Back