Winchester 1893 Original

Goliath

I'm doing a bit of research on the Winchester 1893 slide action shotgun for a friend and I'm trying to get a price approximation. It's an original piece 12 ga marked for the 2 1/2 inch shells and is supposed to be in 90% original condition, never fired. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I was under the impression that if you had a functioning (sliding) and firing 1893 then $15oo would only be about 15% of its value. And didn't the 1893 shoot 2 5/8 brass shells?

The Model 1893 was made only for 12 gauge, 2 5/8 shells. It wouldn't make any difference if the shooter used paper or brass shells. As to a price of $10,000, I know there is some interest in them, but I don't think it runs to that kind of price. The only one I could find for sale was described as excellent and was priced at $1650.

Jim

My only reliable source at hand is Fjestads' "Blue Book of Gun Values", 28th ed. Text follows:

"12ga., 30 (standard) and 32 in. barrel, black powder only. First Winchester shotgun with a sliding forearm action, first Browning slide action patent, disc. 1897 after run of some 34,050. Note: Chambered for 2 5/8 shells only, damascus barrels were available at extra cost, as were fancy stocks."

Blue Book rates a 90% gun @$675

It goes on to add:
"This gun had limited sales because mechanical weaknesses developed when shooting smokeless powder. Winchester offered a brand new shotgun of the customers choice when they returned their Model 1893."

Thanks fellas, we own one purchased for $250 and recently had the pin replaced and tightened that restrains the sliding piece, had an ejection piece replaced and flushed with a diamond bit. For anyone in the middle Ga area needing a gunsmith I could recommend someone who is awesome, he's also great with old Browning A5's. Thanks Again

Back