Winchester 1892 Short 357 ammo

marklyftogt

I am contemplating buying a Win 92 Short 357 for CAS and target shooting from 50-100 yards.

I am curious how they feed 158 gr LSWC as they leave a great hole in the target. Not sure I want to try 105 gr LSWC.

Also curious how the quality is on these for ones made recently.

Thanks...

AFAIK, sans special gun smithing, any Model 92 might have a problem feeding square-shouldered boolits, like wadcutters.

Most likely why factory "Cowboy" loads are all round-nosed.

I'm interested to hear more replies on this question , myself.....since I just purchased a Winchester 1892 short rifle in 357 magnum . Most of my friends into CAS are using model 1873 replicas because of the straight into type feed ramp design and claim they are faster and have more reliable feeding actions ! Though , I also have read the 1892 is a stronger action than the 1873....so magnum loads are better suited for the 1892 if you want an all around type short rifle ! As far as the quality goes....from what I see in fit , wood finish , and action feel right out of the box is excellent !

You cant use magnum loads for CAS. You may have feeding problems using .38's. You can load .357 cases to .38 velocities and do away with feeding problems.

Hard to say for certain what it will feed as to bullet shape. My Browning 92 feeds the Lyman 429421 bullets loaded in 44 spl cases quite well.

Tha bullet is too long in magnum cases for the action as it comes from the factory, but loaded in spl cases is just right for length. Going to try to adjust the action to work with them in magnum cases.

All of the Miroku guns I've seen have been outstanding quality.

Got my Win 1892 in 357 and I love it.

I am shooting LRN and LSWC in 357 and 38 cases and they all cycle like a champ.

I love this gun!

1892 Winchester 357

Sweet , mine will feed 38 special factory loaded round nose ammo all day long without a hitch but have not tried semi wadcutters yet !

Last edited:
Just used the round nose flat point lead bullet. There's not 2 cents worth of difference on the hole they punch but the RNFP feed much better.

Back