Winchester 1892 check for leading???

marklyftogt

I just got a Winchester 1892 .357. I have been shooting copper plated bullets through it only.

I plan on shooting CAS with it someday (and will need to shoot lead) and am wondering how do i check the bore for leading?

I cannot see much detail down from the muzzle even though I have a really bright bore light.

Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.....

If you bought it new and have only fired plated bullets then you don't have lead fouling, you might have copper fouling but I doubt it at the velocities you're likely getting. Get a good paste type copper removing cleaner and run a few patches through it. Usually they turn green if you have much copper in the barrel.

Mark, if you care for your rifle after every outing, you won't have to worry about lead fouling.

Good old cleaning with your Hopps cleaners and you'll be fine.

And any lead fouling will be visible in your bore because the point of the fouling is where the rifling disappears on any particular groove.

Leading can appear as a rough bore, or even smoothed out normally deep rifling. Gray steaks are characteristic looking down a lighted muzzle. Using a copper brush with copper chore boy scrubber disassembled (torn apart), and wrapped around the brush will quickly scrub the lead right out. If you shoot light to moderate loads with your appropriately sized bullet, it should be a very small problem, if any at all.

Back