Winchester 1892 44-40

clkgt

Inactive
Found one of these for sale. Any idea what kind of price range these guns run? Would like to add this to my wall but don't know what they sell for?? Any helpd would be appreciated. Can you get ammunition for them?
thanks
Gene
Win-1.jpg

Win-2.jpg

In that condition, $500-$700 if it has a decent bore.
Yes, ammunition is available. 44-40 is one of the all-time greats, and is very popular with the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd.

44-40 is about 35.00 per 50. Reloading is a better proposition but that is a learning experience in itself.

Good bore is nearly everything, along with a not overly pitted exterior. In my neck of the woods, the rifles can run more than previously stated if good mechanicals and at least decent, non-abused exterior.

Try Georgia Arms
http://georgia-arms.com/44-40win-1.aspx
The $28.00/50 can be misleading at first glance as it does not include shipping. Get enough of it and it pays off though. Good ammo regardless--GA's a great company making a great round. Before getting too carried away though, get a checkup with a qualified gunsmith re condition of your new rifle. The 1892 originated in the blackpowder era, but shortly entered the smokeless period, which of course all firearms have been designed for ever since.

Winchester 92 (the name was shortened from "1892" in the 20s - ?) ceased production in 1941, never again--to this date!!--to be made in the US. The Win 92s in the past fifteen or so years and current production are made in Miroku, Japan for Winchester. Excellent firearms, they however sport some modern lawyered "safety" additions--appreciated by some and not others..."features" not really Japanese-originated, but a Winchester dictum. The same Miroku plant made a short run of 92s--all carbines of the original "pre safety" configuration--for Browning twenty plus years ago.

The .44-40 was the originating and ultimately most popular cartridge for the real "gun that won the west" - the 1873 (an informal title it actually should probably share also with its forebearers the 1860 Henry, and 1866 Win). IIRC, in 1876. Colt chambered the .44-40 (aka .44WCF) in its SAA and the rest is history as the most popular rifle-pistol cartridge combo, making it possible for a cowboy on the range to carry just one cartridge for both firearms. The .44-40 chambered in the stronger and lighter 1892 continued as the most widely chambered "pistol length" centerfire cartridge, and despite depictions on the big and small screen as the gun earning the above title, is probably more accurately the "gun that won the movies and TV,"...the most famous versions probably being the fantasy-large loop .44-40 levers wielded by John Wayne, Chuck Connors with his trick Rifleman carbine and Steve McQueen's Wanted Dead or Alive truncated 92 (famous for the much larger .45-70 shells in Josh Randall's cartridge belt--for more impressive effect). By 1892, most of the west had already been "won," but the Win 92 carried on as a stellar ranch and short-range hunting rifle/carbine, and perhaps is the very best small-centerfire cartridge rifle of all time, at least arguably John Browning's best design (down 1911 boys, down--talking rifles here :) )

Last edited:
The .44-40 was the originating and ultimately most popular cartridge for the real "gun that won the west" - the 1873

73-1.jpg

73-2.jpg

73-6.jpg

73-5.jpg

Found one of these for sale

I'm confused, if it is for sale, is there not an asking price? Or is it an auction or up for offers? Or just a secret?

I cheerfully paid $700 for mine and it is not in a lot better shape than that one.

Back