Winchester 1892 .32-20

Hawkaaa53

'Lo gang ,

Drifted over from the shotgun side 'cause I have a pleasant
dilema . My F-I-L left me a carbine that might be ideal for Cowboy Action . I'm not into rifles , so , my dilema is : Keep it or let someone who treasures such pieces enjoy it .

Looking in the Blue Book of Gun Values , at 10% condition this relic is about $450 . Boy , do I wish this sucker had received a lot of TLC ; but , it didn't .

This rifle , which I suspect is older than me , shoots GOOD !
What should I do ?

Your counsel will be appreciated , Hawkaaa53 - a bunch of shotguns , the .32-20 and a 55 year old .22 single-shot and all
kinds of .177 air rifles for my grandson .

You got a good rifle for Cowboy Action Shooting. It is also great for small game and pest control.

My advise is to keep it in the family. A son or nephew may want it someday when you are ready to pass it down.

Spend some bucks, and get a partial restoration done on it to get it back into really solid shooting condition.

If it's in only 10% condition, it needs more than cosmetic work.

Mike ,
Thanks for suggesting some refinishing - - I'd considered that IF i wert going to kep the gun . But , I'm concerned that any additional investment might not be is the way a buyer might prefer .

Can you suggets spme specific reconditioning that would likely
please any buyer and what that expense might be ?

Any suggestions will be seriously considered , ,,Hawkaaa53

Well, there's no way to really tell what is wrong with your rifle without looking at it.

10% condition usually means that there are SERIOUS mechanical problems with the gun, such as broken or missing parts or a bore that is totally shot out, or a badly damaged stock.

If, however, you're referring to a 10% FINISH, but the mechanicals are still OK, then you might not have to do anything at all. A gun with only 10% of its finish, but in solid mechanical condition with a decent bore and no major wood defects can more commonly be thought of as being closer to 50% condition.

Why not keep it in the family for the kids?

Thanks , Mike

The gun shoots good and you are right it is cosmetics that need attention . I have no doubt that the action needs to be taken apart and given some TLC .

The "Blue Book" suggests over $400 in 10% condition , so my grand son will probably wind up with it .

Thanks , Again , Hawkaaa53

Well, since it's mechanically in decent condition and shoots well, why don't you check on having it reblued.

Not by your local gunsmith, but by someone who does Winchester restorations?

Shouldn't be all that expensive, and will really add to the character of the gun.

Back