Winchester 1885 45-70

donkee

I have a chance to pickup a like new Win 1885 in 45-70. It is a not an old time original, or I would have jumped on it already. I was thinking about an Uberti but this one came along. How would it compare to the Uberti? Thanks in advance!

if its a winchester made in japan, they are top shelf. i have four high walls. two 45-70,s a 38-55 and a 30-40 krag and two brownings made in japan a 1895 in 30-40 krag and a low wall in .260 rem. and five browning shotguns all made in japan by the same company mikuro. they go from 1977 to 2013 and they have been shot thousands of times with out any problems at all, other than cleaning. and they hold their value. i bought a uberti about 6 years ago and it was sold after two months as i could not get it to shot worth a damn. eastbank.

Agree completely with eastbank on the Miroku made Winchesters. I have an 1885 low wall. The finish and fit are excellent. It is also very, very accurate.

Ditto for my Miroku made Winchester 1883.

Last edited:
Just got back from putting it in layaway. Turns out that there were 3 of them. I thought the one I looked at was used but it wasn't. Then one of the gun shop guys said they had two more on the back rack. I grabbed the long barrel rifle with factory tang sight. They still have two carbine rifles left. One with buck horn and one with tang sights.

And here is what I decided on.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=002C&mid=534098

Last edited:
i have the same high wall,the 1885 limited series(401 made) with the tang sight only in the short hunter with a 22 " barrel that i hunt with. it will take any thing you want to put in it if your shoulder can. eastbank.

I have two guns made by Miroku. An 1885 Low Wall Winchester in .22LR and a Browning BT-99 trap shotgun. The quality is impeccable.

I have the earlier Browning trademarked version, a BPCR model in .40-65.
Quality is great.
Understand, it is NOT a faithful reproduction of the 19th century original Winchester, it has been modernized for safety's sake and no doubt for easier production in the Miroku plant. The trigger group is complicated.

I'm itching to pick it up. Problem is I bought 2 Springfield Milspec 1911s for my son and me. His is a graduation present for his graduation from USMC basic training. I figure every Marine should have a 1911, and I could use one to shoot with him! That said, the gun cash has been used for a couple months.

Understand, it is NOT a faithful reproduction of the 19th century original Winchester

True enough, I believe Miroku design uses coil main springs instead of a leaf spring. However, functionally, I believe it is more faithful than the Italian reproductions with the hammer being automatically fully cocked upon closing the action instead of being lowered to half cock.

Back