Winchester 1300 in Vietnam?????

nedfig

I was watching "Platoon Leader" this weekend and one of the guys in the squad had a Winchester 1300. It was definately a 1300, because it had a v-notch where the stock and the receiver bolt up. Is this just another "movie mishap" or did the 1300's really serve time in Vietnam?

Couldn't say for sure, but the shotgun I carried during my tour with our security platoon was an Ithaca with an extended magazine and we used full length brass shells in 00 Buck.

IIRC - another dumb movie error. The 1300 is a recent model. The only mil issue shotguns I've seen that were Winchesters were the M97, M12 and the predessor of the 1300.

FWIW, we had some sort of Winchester for riot control in the 80's - ammo was 00 as you'd find it at Wal-Mart.

Giz

The 1200 was the pump introduced by Winchester after 1964.

I've never heard of the 1200 serving in Vietnam, but it's possible.

There were US Ordnance-marked 1200s, but I have no idea whether they saw service in RVN. The 1300 wasn't in production back then.

Hope I'm not going senile, but I believe the 1200 had the v-notch in the receiver like its successor, the 1300. While we're at it, was that notch a design "statement" or did it fulfill a purpose...thinking of a Savage 55 shotgun I had that was known for cracking the stock right by the receiver...

Back