Winchester 101

rmocarsky

Gunners,

A few years ago I inherited a Winchester 101 12 ga. with 30" full chokes, both barrels.

It has languished in my gun safe all this time. It has a little pitting on the trigger guard and one of the ejectors does not work.

Could it be worth any real money? I have heard that 101s are valuable.

Rmocarsky

It depends on the model, but the Winchester 101 (Miroku) is a great shotgun; underrated when it came out. The trunions are a little weak for tubing so they didn't really make the cut for competition tube sets, but well made and good metallurgy. They are making it again and I would think a reputable gunsmith could fix the ejector for you.

During the VN War I was stationed in Japan. We had a trap club. We all purchased Japanese guns. I bought a Miroku Charles Daly. Lots of guys bought Ithaca O/U's and a few bought the Winchester 101's. They were cheap....like $200 or so each.

The ribs split from the 101's. I read that this ill was eventually fixed. I still shoot my Charles Daly Miroku's and they work like new.

Everyone wants to know what their inherited fancy shotguns are worth. The answer is, oh, about a grand, or maybe less, or if a fantastic gun, a bit more.

My suggestion is, if you have a nice gun, then keep it. Or give it to a child or a nephew. Shoot the darn thing.

Are you going to make a killing on your inherited fine shotgun? Probably not. Figure a grand or more for a very nice one, but it has to be very, very nice. Like an old Parker, L.C. Smith, Lefever or some foreign gun that your great grandfather brought back from Germany after WWII. Fact is most old shotguns aren't worth much.

Back