winchester 100

mod586

Inactive
a friend just gave me a winchester mod 100 .
it's a semi auto rifle in .308 cal never been fired .
is this a good gun. when were these made. i've never
seen one

The Model 100 rifle was made from 1961 to 1973 and the carbine (19" barrel)from 1967 to 1973. They and the companion Model 88 lever action were attempts by Winchester to modernize their line and compete with the Remington semi auto and pump rifles. They were never very popular but I have been told they were well liked in some areas. About 262,000 were made.

They were pretty good rifles, but a quick check shows no easy spare parts source, though I might have overlooked someone. .308 was the most common caliber, but they were also made in .243 and .284. Values top out at about $500, with a bit more for the carbine. Pre-64 rifles and .284 rifles and carbines will bring a premium of 150%.

Jim

Tips for improving..

accuracy of the m100.
Remove action from stock,
route around the location of the gasblock on barreland glass-bed it, (this will minimize movement, also leave vent area front & back, let gas escape for functioning)
Scrape barrel channel to free float,
at the forearm thru-hole for the barrel lug, rout on backside of hole and coat the barrel,lug-screw & lug with release, then glass-bed the back-side of the hole.
Lower barrel and screw as normal placing two thicknesses of business card at the forearm tip and barrel, just snug the screw down and let cure.
remove card stock and visually inspect to confirm the glass-bed as good impression of barrel lug.
Reassembled and shoot it.
I done this to my 100's & 88'sall will cloverleaf @ 200 from prone position with my hunting handloads.

100's and 88's are among my favorite rifles. I still have a 100 in 284 and it is a carbine, I am told that makes it pretty rare.

Back