Win70 bolt polishing, parts blueing.

skywag

I'd like to send my 1939 Winchester Model 70 bolt to a gunsmith. The extractor and extractor ring need blueing, and the bolt body needs polishing. The bolt handle blueing is fine the way it has worn over the years.

Who does small jobs like this?

20170603_143916_zps2zvegc4m.jpg

The stock is beautiful on your rifle; that isn't original, or is it? I don't think I can answer your question, but I expect some may say to never re-blue it as it would likely diminish its value. That's probably true if the rifle is all original.

Others will know more, but my initial thoughts are to either reblue the entire receiver and other parts so that the blue matches throughout, or to just leave it and liberally apply oil to the affected areas. JMHO, good luck!

Any shop that does bluing can do it. Doesn't look like those parts really need any work though. You could polish the bolt yourself if you really want to. Flitz or the like will do it.
I'd be inclined cold blue the bolt handle. Mind you, despite it being "a "beater" custom" it still has value that will be lost if you do anything to it.

Back