Win model 70 featherweight in 270 win

sig220mwxxxx

I bought myself a new model 70 featherweight earlier this year. I read somewhere that FNH and Winchester together were making model 70s that surpassed those of the past because of CNC work and very tight tolerances. I have tried several handloads with h4831 and h4831sc using nosler ballistic tips and hornady sst bullets both in 130 grains. The largest group I have gotten so far has been about 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. The smallest was three shots making one hole bigger than the 270 bullet diameter. I couldn't really measure it but you can take my word for it that it was really small. I guess the article I read about them must have been true. Have any of you out there had similar experiences with them. I called Winchester and found out the rifle was made in 2013.

Great choice on the rifle and caliber. You might want to try some of your H-4831 to try with 150 grain bullets, and try some IMR-4350 with you 130 grain bullets. Also try some Norma MRP powder in both weights. The very best powder so far in my 270, is the long-discontinued Norma N-205. If you find some at a gunshow in well-kept condition, haggle your way into a deal for some, but try not to go home without it.

Sounds like a great rifle. When I was looking for a new deer rifle many people here recommended checking them out. I was so close to having one but my dad long term loaned me a Winchester U.S. Model of 1917 sporerized in 30-06.

Two days before hand I shot two deer with it and dad said to take it home with me. Still have to work up a good handload.

Good caliber and no experience with Win in 270. I used H-4831sc with 150gr partition and same powder with 140gr AB. I hunted couple years with 140gr TSX using H-4350 and load was from Barnes and two years ago drew one of are early above timberline buck tag and used 150gr ABLR. Must of been pretty nice shoot group that small.

My local Academy Sports has one in 270 for $599. It's tempting but with a 30-06 and two 6.5s it's just too hard to justify. Great rifle/cartridge combination.

I had read in the November or December "Rifle Magazine" the model 70 is at its best right now exceeding the pre 64 model 70.
Browning bought out Winchester and they are now hand assembled in Portugal from American made recievers and barrels, in the Viana plant where the stocks have been produced for years.
Everyone knows Im fond of the cartridge, (.270 Winchester), and due to the advice of a real great buddy, I now use Magpro with 150 grn bullets in my 03a3 chambered for .270. It does a nice job for me...
Aldo trying it in my 6.506, looking for speed and consistancy...

Pathfinder45 beat me to it... My 270 (a Remmy 700 ADL) LOVES 130gr SST's pushed by IMR4350. I shot groups with that load I didn't even know I was capable of! LOL! Never ventured into 150gr boolits for my 270 since back in my days of using factory ammo. The handloaded 130gr SST and IMR4350 work so well, why mess with it. And I might add, my rifle didn't really even care how stout or light the charge weight... Even starting charge levels shot extremely well for a "cheap" rifle... Sub-MOA. It did tighten up slightly as charge weight was increased though. But at the end of the day, even the lower charge levels were more than sufficient in terms of accuracy to confidently take game.

On the model 70, my baby is my Winchester/FN m70 Super Grade in 338WM. I bought it new in Nov of 2014 and from what I can tell it was made before they started doing assembly in Portugal.. Not that I care though, it is as functional as it is beautiful and I am still thrilled with my decision to own one.

Enjoy your Featherweight, my brother has an early FN Featherweight in 30-06 along with a pre-64 Standard, early 1970's standard push-feeder and late New Haven Sporter. And he says of all of them, the FN Featherweight is the nicest of the bunch in terms of quality.

I bought a new Featherweight Stainless in .243 in 2012. I certainly can't complain about accuracy with it. My opinion is it's a well made rifle.

I really wanted a .270 but they had the .243 in stock so I went with it. Someday I'll own a .270.

Last edited:
my new featherweight (maybe two years old now) shoots bug eyes in 308 with nosler ballistic tips.

Most of the Winchester Classics made 1992-2006 are very nice rifles exceeding pre-64's in quality. Some of the rifles made during the last 2-3 years of production fell short so I'd be careful buying one of those. But anything made in the 1990's and early 2000's are as good a rifle as you can buy.

Winchester closed the New Haven doors in 2006 and FN reintroduced a slightly modified rifle 2008-present. They are at least as good as the best of the Classics and probably better. I only have one minor complaint with the newest generation of 70's. They changed the trigger starting in 2008. It is a better trigger by most standards, but the old trigger was simple and rugged. Out of the box not as good, but could be worked on to be as good as the new trigger.

I have some of both and don't think you can go wrong with either.

The Model 70 is a truly great rifle.

I have two: a 2004 Featherweight in 300wsm and a 1994 Classic DBM in 7mmRM

They are both really great rifles. I put Timney triggers in both and though I could live and work with the stock triggers, the Timney is truly great and makes a great rifle even better.

Enjoy!

last summer i was offered a new model 70 featherweight walnut stocked stainless in .270 winchester, brand new in the box by a friend. he said he bought it and never fired it and just put it away in his gun room. the serial number is 35AMN21356, the sticker on the barrel says made in america. i assume its not a assembled in portugal rifle, but i,m not sure. it sure is a nice rifle. he sold it to me for 600.00. eastbank.

Sounds like you got a nice rifle that will shoot little groups. I am a stainless steel, synthetic rifle guy and have a couple of 1990's Model 70's. They shoot pretty good, but I have never really got down to trying different loads for them. I went with one load and it was minute of deer since where I hunt shots are 100 yards or less in thick woods.

I would not hesitate to buy a Model 70 again, however I am holding out for a stainless left hander since I shoot long guns left handed. Dang it Winchester why can't you do at least a limited run one year of stainless lefty's? I know what you guys are saying by now, I will be waiting a long time, because they probably will never make a stainless lefty again in a Model 70...:(

I have two Winchester Stainless Classics. One in 30.06 and the other in .375 H&H magnum. They are well made and accurate, I love the controlled round feed.

I have two Winchester Stainless Classics. One in 30.06 and the other in .375 H&H magnum. They are well made and accurate, I love the controlled round feed.

Yes mine are in 30.06 and 300 Win Mag. Action works as smooth as butter on both of them. I have taken a few deer with the 30.06 and took the 300 Win Mag out a few times and after I took one doe with it I put it up. Its heavy since I have a big Nikon scope on it. I set it up for some long range hunting and shooting which I have not done yet. Have not used the 30.06 in years, its a safe queen, been using a couple of Model 700's for the past few years. Don't know why I don't use the 30.06 more its a smooth operating rifle. I know what it is, I have too many rifles and I go through certain phases of wanting to use a different rifle from time to time.

I'm a huge Model 70 fan and when FN started making Model 70s I had to have a look at them.

I found a FN Model 70 Featherweight in 270 and wanted to look at it. Like most gun stores they had a zip tie through the action. Being a bit uptidy when I'm buying guns I made the clerk cut it off so I could examine the action.

This was a new rifle so I expected some stickiness. NOT So, if was beyond smooth yet tight. I heard about the new triggers so I dry fired it. Clean and crisp. The Trigger is suppose to be totally adjustable by the end user, but I've never found a need to fool with mine. I like it the way it came off the rack.

I was impressed so it followed me home and ended up being my GO TO hunting rifle. I shot a few deer and antelope with it and found it to be a bit over kill, so for those critters I went back to my Model 70 257 Featherweight.

I load 150 Gr. Hornady IBs with 50 grns of 4350 (I know, mild load) but its an Elk Slayer par none.

As I said, I'm a Model 70 fan, and I have several, pre & post 64s. But in my opinion, the FN is the best of the lot. Accurate, smooth, and reliable.

Having said that I will add I do not have a USRAs Model 70 so I cant say much about them.

So to the OP, in my opinion, you have a great find and I really don't believe you'll find a better hunting rifle.

Back