Win M70 Action

jbcricket

Anybody know where i can get a new stainless model 70 action or barreled action? I want to build my own setup, debating right now between a 30-06 or a 338 win mag but leaning towards the 06. Havent been able to find an action or barreled action only and dont really want to pay for a whole rifle just to tear it apart.

Buy a used rifle since you gonna rip it apart anyways. Thats what i do. Then you dont have to pay full price. Buying a new barreld action usually cost just as much as a new rifle. Hope this helps, brian.

If you buy a good used rifle with the bolt face you need you will come out much better off. You can well the old stock and barrel on E-bay, one of the gun auction sites or even one of the gun forum classified ad sections for enough to recover a great deal of the money spent. You'll come out much better even if you can find just an action.

Win doesn't sell action or barrel/actions so you left with trying to find a donor.

When I had 300WSM and 270WSM build I got new model 70's I still have the stocks & barrels. You don't see lot of SS actions come up for sale most everything is CM. You might try putting a ad up here,24hr,6br and snipe hide and see what out there never know what's out there.

You're gonna have to buy a doner like people said.

In the early '80s I met a guy who traveled the West Coast of Alaska buying rusted out rifles from eskimos (they arn't known for taking care of equipment)..

He sold me 6 Model 70 actions for a total price of $235. I made some dern nice rifles out of those actions. Including my 1000 yard rifle, in 30-06. Made my wife a real nice little 243, and made a Vietnam Era sniper clone out of one. The other three I made 1000 yard rifles in 300 WM for some of my guard shooters.

I wished I could get another deal like that.

Ya know, if your not apposed to a different make, look for a savage action. You can build the whole thing yourself since it has the barrel nut system. Barrels are availible in any flavor, the bolt head can be changed out to accomadate medium cartridge or a magnum cartridge. There are tons of aftermarket parts availible and they shoot amazingly. Just a suggestion.

You can buy a NEW Model 70 for what it cost for a Montana action.

You can buy a used, beat up Model 70 for a heck of a lot less. In fact you can build a rifle on a used Model 70 action for what you'd pay for a Montana action.

We'll discard the cost of putting it together since both actions will require that cost.

Action $350 ( taken from a used rifle, less if you find a beat up rifle. Action will still be sound)

Model 70 Marksman Stock (Select) $127

Barrel $200 ( good quality Douglas Prem. or Shilan Stainless)

That's $677, or about 100 bucks less then the Montain Action.

A Montana Action with the same barrel and stock would be about $1077.

What makes the accurate rifle is the care in how its put together.

The Model 70 300 WM I posted in the above picture (earlier post) cost me about $235. $40 for the action (235/6), $80 for the Bishop Stock and $100 for the unturned barrel blank. I did the work my self. Including making the hand stop rail. Granted that was a while ago, but the $677 number is fair for todays prices.

I'm not one that believes one has to a multi thousand dollar rifle to be accurate.

One of the best shooting guns I have is my wife's 243. I used one of my $40 actions, a $112 douglas barrel, and the stock is a Wincheter pull off I bought new from a gun smith for $50. It was off a new rifle someone wanted replaced with one of those plastic stocks. That's just a hair over $200 bucks.

Its the care you take putting it together that counts, not how many dollars you spend.

You could put the extra money in rounds down range and be better off.

If you don't have to have a Winchester Action (I'm cursed for saying that) you can buy a Mauser 98 action from shotgun news for less then 100 bucks and make a dern nice shooter.

Just noticed I didn't post the picture of my 1000 yard rifle. Here it is.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

Last edited:
Back