Win. Defender vs. Rem. 870 HD

AKrob

First, I apologize if this topc has already been beaten into the ground. I did a search and couldn't come up with what I was looking for...

I want to get a pump shotgun for home defense as well as IDPA side matches. I've seen the Winchester 1300 Defender for $250 bucks around here, and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions regarding this gun especially in comparison to the Remington 870 HD.

Thanks,
AKrob

I have very little experience with Winchester shotguns, but (and I'm sure this will be echoed many times), you _cannot_ go wrong with the 870.

Try 'em both and see which you prefer. My guess is the quality/craftsmanship difference is small enough that personal preferences would be the deciding factor.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

I too don't have much experience with the Winchester 1300 but can say that the Rem 870s
are very reliable shotguns for competition and home defense.

I have an 870HD that I fixed up to a home defense shotgun which includes Sure fire forend, ghost ring tritium sights and some other things. The 870HD cannot take any law enforcement accessory such as the extended magazine tube but that can be fixed by removing the notch that is near the end of the magazine tube by having your gunsmith drill it out. Everything else on an 870HD can be changedout for a shorter stock or a police grade forend.

Both (unless you get a lemon) are good tools designed and built to serve you well.

Get either one and practice, practice, practice. That's much more important advice than anything you'll hear about your choice of gun.

I prefer the Winchester for its faster follow-up shot and generally smoother action. Mine's been totally reliable to boot. Also, it came from the factory with a seven-shot tube so there weren't any worries with drilling out dimples to add a magazine extension.

Remingtons are probably a bit more rugged if you intend to leave your gun in a puddle of water in the bottom of a boat, or drop it from a guard tower or something. The steel receiver probably helps it take an abusive licking a bit better.

But again, both are fine tools. Get either one, and practice.

I'm an unabashed 870 booster. However, any reliable shotgun of at least 20 ga and two shot capacity is an effective HD tool.

Md DOC tried out the Winchester 1200, the predecessor of the 1300,and found it wanting when it came to holding up to the abuse tower weapons get.If you take care of your weapons, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

And, instead of bells and whistles, buy ammo. Addons never can substitute for practice...

The most obvious difference (to me) is the location of the safety - Winchester at the front of the trigger guard, Remington at the back. Try them both before you buy.

I bought 1300 in part because of an AD I saw when user's hand slipped from the slide release and onto the trigger on an 870...and the gun held more ammo, balancing better for me. I did not expect to modify mine and it already came with a tru-glo front sight. Had I planned to add features, 870 would have been a better choice, I think. All in all, the gun I wanted most, Mossberg 590A1 with ghost ring sight doesn't exist in 20 gauge :(

I'd shoot each and go from there. I found that I am not fond of the "unlock on recoil" feature of the Defender.

I've a Mossberg 590 - black, heat shield, black, bayonet (!) lug, black, eight shot tube, with black polymer furniture. Did I mention it's black?

Seriously, this thing looks eviiil. It has also been reliable and fun. I'll bring it to the next match. You can try it in the match if you like.

I was going to get an 870, but I got such a great deal on this I couldn't pass it up. It's also set up the way I wanted it from the start - no need to add an extended tube, etc. My next shotgun (I'm in no hurry) will probably be an 870.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I found that I am not fond of the "unlock on recoil" feature of the Defender.[/quote]

Either you like it or you don't, I guess. For me, though, that's the very thing that makes my follow-up shot faster. Helps me get the pump moving and cycle another shell into the chamber as fast as possible.

Oleg, that AD sounds more like pilot error than bad engineering. Proper training would prevent that.

As for the "unlock on recoil" feature, all pumps do that to some extent. BTW, that unlocking uses up some recoil energy,thus reducing what we feel.

Morgan, the reason ALL the shotguns here at Casa McC are 870s is so there's no confusion at a crisis point as to where the safety and slide release is. I suggest that once you've found a shotgun that suits you,all subsequent shotguns be of that brand, except for different action types.

For instance, bolt action shotguns have little use outside slug guns, and SXS doubles tend to be either bird guns, Luparas or Cowboy action shooting pieces.

But, HD and WIHTF shotguns need to be used nigh instinctively,possibly while one is in great pain and certainly when under great stress. If one switches between shotgun brands, it gets complicated when simplicity is crucial.

Dave - point taken. According to all the 870 worshippers I've met, once I get an 870 the Mossy will be an expensive breaker bar ;).

Actually, my defence shotgun is kept safety off, empty chamber, forearm unlocked (trigger pulled on an empty chamber) - pump and go, so it wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't switch until I'd had significant practice with the new arm.

Maybe so,Morgan, I see few serious WIHTF types with Mossbergs, but that be just be 870 worship.

One caveat...

Most of the folks I know and ALL the depts and agencies keep their weapons in some form of cruiser ready. That's mag loaded, chamber empty, slide locked shut, safety on. From this condition the weapon can be made ready in a fraction of a second by someone with training, but reduces the chances of it being used by unauthorized adults,kids, etc.

Try it yourself. I'd wager it'll take less than a second with practice...

Back