Win 94

curlybill

Inactive
I am thinking about buying a post 64 (1968) 94 that is like new.........only about 20 rounds through it. However, the coating on the receiver looks like some kind of paint rather than conventional bluing and has me a little concerned about future durability. Can anyone tell me what this is and is it factory?

Not having seen the gun, it's hard to say if it is factory finish or not, but the late 1960-late 1970s Win 94s had kind of funny receviers. The receivers were cast from a special kind of steel and would not accept bluing, so Winchester plated them with iron and then blued them. They get freckled and wear through very quickly, then you have a shiny silver receiver that cannot be re-blued. When that happens, some owners replate them, but many folks simply have the receivers refinished with GunKote bake-on finish. It looks pretty good and protects from rust very well.

AFAIK, those receivers were cast of sintered (powdered) steel - which is why they won't take bluing very well.

Petah-
I have heard several reasons why they won't take blue, I am not sure which is true:
1- the forgings were made of siliceous steel.
OR
2- the forgings were made of recycled steel from scrapped cars with high copper and chrome content.

Either way, it has the same effect, the receivers will not blue from caustic bluing salts.

Back