Win 748 and the M1 Garand

Posting copyrighted materials is not allowed. You can quote the 748 loads within fair use, but printed materials are copyrighted not only as to content but as to graphic elements (page organization, font choice, etc.) which can go beyond that. Please read the board policy on posting copyrighted materials.

Aspect,

748 is only listed for bullets of 168 grains and up for the Garand in that book. It has a low loading density (less than 80% at max loads and less than 70% in starting loads), so you can expect the velocity variation to be a bit high, especially depending on whether you have the powder back over the flash hole or forward over the bullet at firing. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 100 fps difference between those two conditions. The testing by Hornady was done with Winchester WLR primers, which are a standard large rifle primer. I would consider a magnum primer because of all the empty space in the case. The extra gas from the magnum primer better pressurizes that empty space and can cut down on the velocity variation. A number of folks have noticed improved accuracy from them due to this. The Hornady testing was done with 3.240" COL for all their bullets, which I would follow.

Can Win 748 be used for the M1?

It would appear so...:rolleyes:

I have a Hornady 7th edition, (2007) and it does have a separate section for the M1 rifle (.30-06), and Win 748 is listed in it, for two of the 3 bullet weights given.

Interestingly, Win 748 is NOT listed in that manual in the regular .30-06 data. Nowhere at all.

Win 760 is listed.

Listing a powder in your load data means it can be used. The opposite in not true. Not listing a powder just means they chose not to list it.

Not listing a powder in your test data can be for several reasons, most common are, the powder was not suitable, or they did not achieve satisfactory results, or they didn't have any to test, or most often they simply, or didn't bother to test it.

Generally speaking, the data in the books is what the testers believe most people want. They cannot test every possible combination, and generally focus on what yields the most commonly sought results.

For example, you generally don't find reduced level loads for magnums in the books. its not that they don't exist, its that most people who shoot a magnum are interested more in magnum level performance, and the data is tailored to reflect that.

Back