Win 1895 History

mete

Watching a Kurosawa movie filmed in Russia. While the men carried bolt action rifles the officer carried a Win 1895. Was the '95 ever used by the Russian army ?

Thanks. The movie is "Dersu Uzala" the only movie Kurosawa made outside Japan .It takes place around the Ussuri river where the Sino-Soviet war was fought. An excellent movie about a surveying crew and a 'mountain man' which is showing on TCM channel.

Roughly 66% of all Winchester Model 1895s made were made on contract order for the Czarist Russian armies.

Virtually all ordered guns were sent to Russia before the revolution (maybe a few hundred didn't go), so they are VERY rare here in the United States.

There was a thread here a few days ago about a Russian 1895 for sale.

Isn't someone reproducing them? I thought I saw new ones at a gun show last year. Color cased receivers on them, if I am thinking of the same model. I could be wrong, I really don't pay attention to Winchester lever guns anymore. Not that I don't like them, I just have other interests right now.

Probably still a lot less expensive to rebarrel one of those new rifles than to find an original, although they did not look cheap.

There were 293,000 (66% of total production) made under the Russian contract; all or almost all made it to Russia, which is why that caliber is rare in the U.S. The Russian model has a bridge type clip guide made for the standard M-N clip.

Jim

Last edited:
Russians ordered Model 95s in the 7.62 rim Russian round. After the revolution the communist refuse to accept future deliveries of a capitalist rifle.

Several years ago, (forgot what mag.) I read about a guy who bought two un-openned cases of those model 95s.

One he broke open and sold the individual rifles which covered his expenses and made a few bucks.

The Second case, he cut the top out of the crate, pealed back the packing, exposing the rifles. He put a chunk of glass on the case, polished it up and made a coffee table. The article had pictures, it really looked nice.

Quite the conversation piece.

Back