Win. 155g SilverTip HP .40 S&W

HighGround

Inactive
Has anyone ever used the Win. 155g STHP in .40 S&W? Are they accurate? What about damage to flesh? Good or bad self-defense load? What about a normal copper JHP round? Accuracy? Damage? Who makes the best? etc. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Hello, before I got "out of the forty business," the Winchester 155 gr Silvertip was my load of choice for protection in my Browning .40 HP and CZ-75B. It grouped well in both guns, exceptionally so in the HP.

From the HP, this round chronographed an average velocity of 1164 ft/sec and from the CZ, 1197 ft/sec. It had a small extreme spread out of both guns.

The round offered power and accuracy as well as feed reliability out of both weapons.

The silver coating is merely an e-nickle over standard gilding metal.

Informal expansion tests showed very good expansion that occurred consistently. Media included water, wetpack, and a couple of jackrabbits.

I think this round would be a fine defensive load.

Best.

A very good cartridge...

The Winchester 155gr Silvertip in .40S&W is top notch all around. It worked really well in my Glock 23 and is one of the hottest .40S&W cartridges out there. It also performs really well in FBI ballistic gelatin tests AND in Marshal & Sanow's "one-shot stop" studies.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/40s&w.htm

http://www.evanmarshall.com/towert/stoppingpowerfigures.htm

Notice that it chrono'd very close to the advertised 1205 FPS and performed equally well through bare and clothed ballistic gelatin. Of course, there is lively debate as to if ANY of these methods are valid... but since it does well in both it is hard to see how the 155gr ST would be a bad choice. In my Glock 23 the 165gr Remington Golden Saber, 165gr Cor-Bon and 165gr Speer Gold Dot were accurate and reliable, too.

I don't know if the different-looking jacket has anything to do with it, but silvertips seem to be quite reliable-expanding bullets based on everything I've read.

C.B.

Back