Wilson KZ-45 TCP

Karanas

Does anyone actually have one of these polymer 1911's?
I was intrigued by it when I saw it on their website last year and I was expecting to see some write up on it in some of the gun mags, but nothing, zilch!
None of the gun shops in my area stock it, although one offered to order it for me, but I'm not ready to fork over $1K for a looksee.
The lack of attention it has received makes me a bit suspicious, so any info would be welcome.

Actually they are just ready to ship some. Apparently there were some production delays. You should be seeing some reviews in the magazines pretty soon.

Here's mine, I've had for a couple of weeks! The thing shoots great, and I believe its a real value. I upgraded to the WILSON adjustable rear site, which brought the total to $1045 retail.

View

I'll post more soon, I'm in a bit of a hurry now. I did post more info and another pic of mine on another thread, 'FEEDBACK ON WILSON?LES BAER' or something like that. Check it out.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/CAMILLUS CUTLERY

My last post included a scan of my KZ-45[Wilson's also calls it the TACTICAL CARRY PISTOL, or TCP, which I like better]. I also have a pic I took this weekend with a new digital camera. I'm still learning to use it, so understand that the pic is tinted a little 'green'. The pistol is really flat black.

View

Sorry for the shameless plug, but the knife is the new TERZUOLA designed CQB-1 from CAMILLUS. Thats what I orignally took the pic for. ;)

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will, nice looking gun. How does it shoot? Give us the scoop. Does it take standard 1911 mags? Thanks.

Frank

The Wilson KZ-45 is a high-cap .45 that uses 10 round double stack Wilson magazines.

The magazines for this pistol do not work in the Bul M5 or the Kimber Polymer, and vice versa.

Which is why I wouldn't buy one.

The Bul M5 is less than half the cost and uses either Bul M5 magazines, Para Ordnance
magazines or Kimber high-cap magazines.

[This message has been edited by dvc (edited January 04, 2000).]

The Wilson uses a DEDICATED ten round mag...in other words, NOT a blocked off hicap mag. This makes the grip actually SLIMMER than a conventional metal-frame single stack 1911.

Yes, it does use a dedicated 10 round mag. But its still a double column mag that
suffers from the capacity ban side-effect.

Try loading one to full capacity and getting it to seat into the gun. Being that theres no give left in the magazine spring, it will not seat unless you download it by one or two rounds, bringing usable capacity down to 8.

That can be done in a single stack 1911.

dvc,
I've got a KZ-45 right here, along with 4 mag's. I can load these mags to capacity easier than any of the many para mags I've had, and they seat into the gun, when loaded to capacity, very easily. It is certainly no more difficult to seat than a 8rnd 1911 mag, loaded to capacity, is to seat.

As nice as the frame is, I like the external, pivoting extractor even more. No more 1911 extractor problems! The gun runs well, groups great[1" @ 15yrds], and carries nicely. I'm pleased.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Hey Will,
Seems like a great piece, is it reliable?
Also do you feel the external extractor really aids that much in reliability, ala glock or h&k?

------------------
Somedays you eat the bear...somedays the bear eats you.

Mountaineer,
I 've got approx. 1000 rounds through the gun so far with a problem. Mix of ball and reloads, with 50 hollowpts in for good measure. I really feel that the pivotsing extractor is an improvement. I realize that the standard 1911 'tunnel' extractor can run fine for many years, but the DO go outta adjustment, and the most frustrating part is that you don't usually find out untill you start having jams.

This extractor is a beefed up looking version of the pivoting Hi-power extractor. No adjusting, no wondering, it just runs. Its powered by a coil spring under the rear of the extractor 'bar', not pushing from behind like a glock. I don't remember the USP extractor of the top of my head, but I believe its like the Wilson one.

Its a keeper, I love it!

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Back