WILSON is it worth it sight unseen

lodi

Inactive
HI
I am just getting back into the shooting game with my son,I was getting ready to buy a kimber gold match s.s. till I started reading what everyone was saying about wilson's.
I only want to buy once, but I have a hard time spending that kind of money having never even seen a wilson more or less shot one.My local range said they have only seen one in the last 3 years.
HELP!!!!!! Lodi,Ca.

[Edited by lodi on 01-06-2001 at 08:39 PM]

You can be assured that anything that you buy from Wilson is superb. Everything from Wilson combat, is all hand fitted to there frame and slide. Their guns will range from $995.00 to $3,000.00 give or take. you will not be disappointed in the purchase. On the other hand, you will not be disappointed with the Kimber either. All of their pistols have custom parts in it from Chip McCormik. Guns from there custom shop are priced around $1,000 to $1,300 but have $500 plus worth of custom parts. Its all in the money. Both make great guns. If money weren’t of consequence, I would choose the Wilson. I will tell you though, I am very happy with my Kinber.

The Wilson is a fine weapon! And so is the Kimber. I have a Kimber and have shot a Wilson. I am not a good enough shot to need a Wilson...if you see what I mean.:) The Wilson would cost twice my Kimber and 4X anything else I shoot.

The only time I have ever seen anyone COMPLAIN about a Wilson is when they have never used one. I see lots of posts from people who don't own them grousing about the price. But those who do own them sing nothing but their praises.

My story? Yeah I own Kimbers. Three of them. One from the custome shop. Shot the heck out of them. Various minor issues with two of them. (including the custom shop Combat Carry) Major isseus with one. (Polymer) Got tired of loosing matches because the Kimber had a hickup of some kind. Bought a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. Kimbers went in to the safe. Haven't been out since. The TRS has been flawless. Wanted something a little smaller for daily carry and went looking for a Baer Stinger. None to be had and patience has never been one of my virtues. ;) Picked up a Wilson CQB at a discount. Love it.

I am not bad mouthing the Kimbers. To me, they seem to be a 98% gun; they run about 98% of the time without problems. I just couldn't live with the missing 2%. I could have sent the Kimbers off and had a good smith make them 100%. I may still do just that. But the Baer and the Wilson gave me that right out of the box. And I KNOW Wilson customer service is beyond reproach. Only a few can say that about Kimber. I know I can't.

Most of the friends of mine with whom I shoot have gone the same route. We all started with Kimbers. Shot them in competition regularly. But as we progressed, we have all moved to higher end 1911s from Baer, Wilson and Ed Brown. Maybe someday I'll be able to get that Grey Ghost from Dane Burns. :D

Kimbers may be fine for you. But you will not regret any money spent on a Wilson.

Bubba

Get the Wilson. As time passes, you'll forget all about the money. However, you won't forget how well the Wilson shoots and feels in your hand.

Sorry but you can not even compare a Kimber in function and feel with Wilson's LOWEST end gun the KZ-45. I had 3 of Kimber's highest end guns. The key word was had.

If you go the Kimber route, more power to you. It'll function and is an accurate 1911. They're just not in the same class as a Wilson Combat 1911.

you only want to buy once...

get the Wilson!

I did. A month or 2 back I got the hots for a KZ45... never had the chance to see nor hold one. I was a bit concerned about the grip from descriptions in the gunrags. Well, with a little help from Son ^ and a few others I took the leap and lets just say I have no regrets. Do some research and you'll find Wilsons customer is second to none.

Good luck.

also highly recommend Terry Peters http://www.pt-partners.com for your high end 1911 needs!

Back