Wilson Combat S&W spring kit #178

napg19

Thinking of putting this kit in both my model 10 and 686. Seems like the #12 lb. rebound spring is the most popular. Anyone having light primer strikes with this set up? Thanks.

Never tried the 12# but have the 13# in 4 different S&W's with no light strikes. Put it in & try it you can always change it out.

What pull weight are you seeing? The reduced hammer spring primarily affects hammer energy and possibly primer reliability. I avoid changing this unless I’m willing to test a lot.

The rebound spring is fine to go as light as possible. The question is can you pull the trigger fast enough to out run the lighter spring. People like Jerry Miculek are willing to accept a bit heavier rebound spring so they cannot over run it when firing as fast as they can. I put the lightest in my j frame and I cannot outrun it yet.

I have a inexpensive Wheeler trigger pull gauge that only goes to 8lbs. Double action is more than 8lb, single action is 6lb. Gun is still new, never shot. Have not bought springs yet. This is on 686.
On the model 10 double action is more than 8lb, single action is 4.5lb. Have shot this gun before.
I don't need a scary light trigger. A couple lbs. Lighter though would be nice.
Appreciate all advice. Thanks.

I have always used Wolff spring kits with no problem. I don’t know what the Wilson Combat kit entails but they are a reputable company so I imagine they are fine. A link to the specific product you are considering would be helpful. You are not going to have a scary light trigger just swapping springs.

Back