Wilson #20 spring failures

skeeter

My Commamder .45 was working fine until I put a Wilson #20 spring and full lenght guide rod in.I had several jams that were all the same. The rounds in the mag would nose dive into the mag and the rear of the cartridge would rest in the breech face. Pulling back on the slide would allow the cartridge to pop up and be chambered. It seems the slide was moving too fast on its return and hitting the rear of the cartridge and pushing the bullet into the magazine. This happened to 3 out of 5 mags. Should I use a Wilson #18.5. Is that the factory weight? I went to the #20 spring to lessen the shock to the frame of the aluminum Commander.
Will the #20 spring work if I use HD mag springs?

A shock buff in a Commander ?
I tought you only could install these in full lenght pistols like the Governm.
I have a SA Champion and installed a Wilson shock buff.
Stock recoil spring was 22lbs.
Had a lot of jams (stovepipes).
I then removed the buff and the jams disappeard.
I now put a new recoil spring in it every 1000 rounds.

Wild Bill, you can put a shok buff in any 1911. The lightweight alloy frames need them more than the steel. There are different thicnesses out there. Brownells carries several different brands. You just need to experiment to discover which one works best in your pistol. George

Thanks for the advise George.
In my country I can only find Wilson shock buffs and they just are to thick.
I will follow your advise and order some from Brownells.

I'm using a 20# Wolff spring in my Commander and have not had any problems. I'm using McCormick Power mags which are supposed to have more powerful springs in them.

I don't know if that's why I haven't had any problems or not.

Back