Wilson 1996A1

jaysouth

I just got a Wilson 1996A1 in a very good trade. It is an older gun with very nice adjustable sights and an incredible trigger. I think that it's the best that I've ever felt on a 1911. A couple of days ago, I was at my local club shooting this and a couple of other guns, one of which is my very trusty Kimber Custom Classic. This is also an older gun, one marked on the frame, "Clackamas, Oregon. A very gunwise friend joined me. Upon seeing the Wilson and Kimber side by side on the bench, he pronounded that both guns were made in the same building by a firm then called Jerico in Yonkers, N.Y. According to him, Kimber later acquired Jerico and moved its operations from Oregon to Yonkers. The facilities once owned by Jerico is now owned by Kimber and churns out these very well made pisols.

I appeal to the "braintrust", all of you knowledgable posters out there, help me out. Was this model Wilson made off premises? Does Kimber still make any model of the Wilsons? I am a tremendious fan of Kimber and would probably not buy any other 1911. I am now saving my shelkels to someday buy a Kimber Gold Combat CDP. I shot one of these in one hand and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch in the other hand. I could not discern a dime's worth of difference in the operation, and am impressed that the Gold Combat CDP has a few more custom features such as the magwell.

good shooting

Jay

Can't prove it but have heard Bill Wilson has Kimber {NY} make his frames for him but to HIS specs. Don't believe Kimber ever made any complete pistols for Wilson.

Jericho makes the frames and slides for both Kimber and Wilson AFAIK. They are finished and assembled at each plant and sold under each company's name.

Back