Wilmot Shotgun

kv4v

I have a double barrel shotgun marked Wilmot Gun Co. On the top of the barrels it is marked "Goverment Tested", "Belgium Royal Damascus" and "Choice Bored". It has outside hammers and a little poor quality engraving on the locks. The stock is carved with a deer's head. There are a number of proof marks on the underside of the barrels. I would like to find out the history of the gun and what it might be worth. Thanks. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West

Kv4V:
I have numerous cross over lists, and also stock cross over lists however I can't find it listed. Can someone else help us out?

HJN

According to my books the Wilmot shotgun was shown in the 1907 Sears, Roebuck & Co Sporting Goods Catalogue on page 672 and priced at $12.35. It states the barrels are Damascus finished and their breeches are hexagon. 12 gauge, sidelock, outside hammers, double triggers, engraved, fancy carved wood, splinter forearm, top lever opener.
There is also a note that a company called Wilmont Arms Co and Wilmot Gun Co. may be the same. Wilmont (with an n) has Belgian proof marks, circa 1890s, no other history known. Very ornately embellished.
All info from Side by Sides of the World by Charles E. Carder.

Thank you very much for the information gentlemen. Can you tell me how to determine a selling price for this item? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Doc

Don't think there is much demand as this was a utility-grade shotgun sold through Sears, if my info is accurate. Depepnding upon condition anywhere from $75 for a wallhanger up to $250 for a BP shooter? Only a guess though.

Back