williams peep for an 08' 1984c .357 marlin

shrewd

i don't too much like the skinner sights, they are too high for my cheek weld and i'm still not to warm about the idea of having to file the front sight and all that good stuff.

so i saw a recommendation the other day for the williams, apparently there is a version that can be top mounted (my marlin isnt drilled on the side of the receiver, alas)

turns out this model needs a hammer extension? can somebody explain to me what that means, exactly? or maybe show me a picture of what it looks like?

Man, if you ain't happy with the Skinner, the William's tend to be a hair taller...you might not like that either...

Perhaps a Skinner Lo-Pro or barrel peep would do the trick for ya??
No sight-filing needed on those, usually...

I've got a Williams FP 336 mounted on my Marlin 1894. This is the sight that mounts on the rear scope mounting holes. The directions say that it needs a hammer extension, but I haven't found that to be the case. I can get to the hammer easily, although the sight does extend a tad past the end of the receiver and I can see why they might recommend it.

However, I"ve been using mine for several years without an extension and don't feel handicapped without one.

I've a Williams on my Marlin`94 in 45 Colt.
No installation required other than to screw it into the existing scope mount holes, and gently tapping
out the original rear sight to provide unobstructed sightline front-to-rear.
No hammer extension is needed.

I do recommend using the slightly higher front sight that Midway supplies as part of their "kit" here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/79...s-at-rear-scope-mounting-holes-aluminum-black

My new front sight tapped right where the old one was in w/o any need to file/shape the wedge.
But if fitting is required, a few swipes with a small jewer's file is all that's needed. It's near prefect fit to start.

I would also recommend getting one of Williams' 0.50" apertures (your choice)...
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=willams+aperture

... and a dovetail blank for where the rear site used to go. (I used Marble's)
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=dovetail+blank

When installed, this set-up is unbeatable.

Last edited:
Williams

Me as well. A Williams (cheaper than XS) and the std factory bead front.

I did file a 45 degree flat on the bead, which helped visiblity in dim light, and reduced the offset type glare with a low sun.

FWIW, after installing a top-mount receiver peep sight like the Williams WGRS, 5D, FP, Skinner & XS, there no front sight "filing", since an entirely new, higher, front sight blade will be needed to zero the rifle (tap the old out, the new in).

An exception would be the XS LoPro, which - while using a scope mount hole - will zero with the issue height front sight.
The LoPro, however, is adjustable for elevation only, so any windage adjustment would needs be done via moving the front sight.
The good thing is that minimal, if any, windage adjustment is usually needed - since the LoPro mounts directly above the bore C/L. (usually less tham 1/16")

Another exception would be to use a Williams 5D or FP, but mount it in the two forward scope mount holes ILO the rear two, to obviate the need for an offset hammer spur.

IIRC, one or both of those sights carry the horizontal sighting bar behind the base ILO atop, in it's lowest position, so the issue front sight might be OK.

Back