William F. Buckley, jr. dies at age 82

Pat H

Buckley was an interesting man, well educated, and from an old money family.

February 27, 2008
William F. Buckley, Jr., RIP
Posted by Lew Rockwell at February 27, 2008 12:39 PM​

The CIA agent, founder of the modern conservative movement, enforcer of warfare-state discipline on the right, brilliant writer and editor, transoceanic sailor, harpsichordist, TV star, charming aristocrat, founder of National Review and Young Americans for Freedom, enabler of neoconservatism, expeller of heretics from Birchers to Rothbardians, and thoroughly bad ideological influence in general, is dead at 82. Here is the NY Times obit. David Gordon and others will have more to say about him and his movement in LRC.

I'd really really like you to reference Buckley's support of your 'neoconservative' machination.

A quote vs. your translation would solidify your case. A lack of one refutes it.

Your hate knows no bounds does it Pat. A genuinely impactive American dies and it's seen by you as an opportunity to attack.

Mr. Buckley’s greatest achievement was making conservatism — not just electoral Republicanism, but conservatism as a system of ideas — respectable in liberal post-World War II America. He mobilized the young enthusiasts who helped nominate Barry Goldwater in 1964, and saw his dreams fulfilled when Reagan and the Bushes captured the Oval Office.
Indeed. He is the priamry reason a sort of southpark republicanism is normal for guys between 25 and 40.

“All great biblical stories begin with Genesis,” George Will wrote in the National Review in 1980. “And before there was Ronald Reagan, there was Barry Goldwater, and before there was Barry Goldwater there was National Review, and before there was National Review there was Bill Buckley with a spark in his mind, and the spark in 1980 has become a conflagration.”
To Mr. Buckley’s enormous delight, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., the historian, termed him “the scourge of liberalism.”
What greater praise could one earn?

Mr. Buckley’s spirit of fun was apparent in his 1965 campaign for mayor of New York on the ticket of the Conservative Party. When asked what he would do if he won, he answered, “Demand a recount.” He got 13.4 percent of the vote.
We should all enjoy our labor that much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/business/media/27cnd-buckley.html?hp

William Buckley was a great man, a great commentator, funny, intelectual and charming. I had the honour to meet and chat with him once after a lecture and reception at NYU in the early 80s. He infuriated liberals and lefties, which inspired me to such rebelliousness as wearing T shirts that said "Better Dead than Red" to marxist Ollie's NYU lectures. Although I didnt always agree with him, I always enjoyed him

His closest counterpart today is Mark Steyn.

WildgoodluckbillAlaska ™

Today, we have lost a great man. One may not have always agreed with him, but he always made one think.

I'm actually curious, Pat. Are all conservatives, who are not Libertarians, neo-cons? Rhetorical question Pat, as your OP answered it.

I'm actually curious, Pat. Are all conservatives, who are not Libertarians, neo-cons? Rhetorical question Pat, as your OP answered it.
Buckley has essentially turned over his "living testiment", the National Review, to the Neocons entirely. NR used to feature such genuine conservative voices as Joseph Sobran. He was purged by the young neocons a few years ago.

Further, Buckley rationalized much of the opposition to Robert Taft (a member of the classic old right), saying that, "there should be no limits on government" in opposition to the "communist threat", the War on Terror of his day.

Last, William F. Buckley, Senior, was opposed to much of the direction Junior was taking the conservatives in America. Senior was a staunch member of the America First Committee, and a real conservative.

One thing boys and girls...I for one am proud to be a so called neocon....and to be called that is no insult...it is an honour!:p

Stand up fellow neocons, fight the good fight agains the dinosaurs of both the right and the left! :D

WildlevdavidovichwasabrilliantmanbythewayAlaska TM:p

RIP...........

IMOHO, we've lost a great man and great thinker of the 20th century.

This whole discussion cheapens his memory with soundbites and labels.

Antipitas said:

It's his (and others) perjorative. The insult that gets thrown around and is explained away by claiming it is some legit political movement despite very very few people self identifying as such and no organization bearing such name. It like the little kid that says 'ass' and when his mommy gives him 'the look' quickly says 'I meant the donkey' or 'it's in the bible how can it be a bad word'.

Unless someone were to SELF IDENTIFY as a 'neocon' then pinning that label on them based on your analysis of them and your deciding they are one, it is pejorative.

If you call someone a redneck for example, someone that self identifies as one may very well say 'damn right!' but someone that does not IS being insulted. And to say well you do live in a rural area, you do drive a truck, you do listen to country music, so whether you accept it or not your a redneck is pejorative.

So don't be an ass. I of course don't mean ass in the pejorative but rather as stubborn. Most people recognize that the common trait of a donkey (ass) is it's stubbornness, and not to insult you. Your being an ass about pressing a label on someone that is perceived far more as insulting then generally identifying only works if you buy the reasoning that I just used for calling you an ass and that your being an ass.

I hope you see my point. I don't wish to insult, just to point out that explaining (or attempting to anyway) that they shouldn't be insulted by the insulting term your wielding around doesn't change that it is insulting to people that don't SELF IDENTIFY with it. So, like it or not, it is pejorative. And let's be honest, you know it is. It's evident in your writing what your intent is.

Then there's facist............

I would rank William F. Buckley jr and Milton Friedman as the two greatest conservative thinkers of the 20th century. They are both truly great shoulders to stand on and whose shoes may never be filled. Between Firing Line and Free to Choose they set the standard for the conservative, smaller government, pro-free market movement which culminated in the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980.

"thoroughly bad ideological influence in general"

It's a shame the author's mama didn't teach him that if you don't have something nice to say about the recently departed then keep your piehole shut.

But then, look at who wrote it and you have to figure you got about what would be expected from a jerk.

John

Another obit.

William Buckley’s Permanent Thing

by Christopher Westley​

William Buckley seemed to relish writing obituaries.

In fact, the death of a Milton Friedman or a Strom Thurmond or even of an obscure Manhattan socialite would provide a forum for Buckley to write about, well, himself – about how witty he once was in that person’s company, or how important he came to be in that person’s life.

So when news arrived today that Buckley himself had died, I wondered how he would like his own obituaries to be written. He’d no doubt take great pride in his death being noted on the front page of his beloved New York Times. He’d be glad that his death coincided with a Republican in the White House, practically guaranteeing an official statement from a sitting president.

For someone who reproduced his Who’s Who citation in one of his books, the validation that mattered came from the secular establishment.

But he’d surely know that some elements of the conservative movement would remember his life’s work with great regret. These would be the elements of the Old Right that (thanks to the Internet) animate much American political discourse today, characterized by conservatives and classical liberals and libertarians who believe that a free society demands that government be either severely limited or nonexistent.

These are the people who agreed with the social critic Albert Jay Nock that the enemy of civilization was the State itself. They knew that large, centralized governments – whether in the East or the West – can only nurture dependency and division, and that their very existence threatens an order defined by private institutions and property, voluntary interactions, mutual interdependencies, and social betterment. The Old Right knew that war was the health of the state, and that this reason alone justified opposition to Wilson’s and FDR’s wars as events worth avoiding because they would, in the end, grow the government and make us less free.

But after World War II, and during the height of President Truman’s unpopularity emanating from the U.S. government’s first undeclared war, there was serious concern among the State’s partisans that a freedom movement would reassert itself politically, squelching the justification for government growth that the nascent Cold War brought about. A trumped-up international confrontation with the Soviets may have provided meaning and jobs to many, but it also required dismantling constitutional constraints on power necessary for a free republic.

Indeed, it was such a threat to liberty that occasioned President Eisenhower's 1961 Farewell Address.

It was a threat that Buckley defended by serving to pacify the Old Right movement so as to allow the State to grow. (Ronald Reagan served this role in 1980s, and talk radio does today.) The former CIA agent proclaimed himself the leading conservative spokesmen, urging conservatives to embrace totalitarianism as a necessary strategy to defeat the Soviets, demanding that they embrace "ig government for the duration" of the Cold War. Curiously, he never called for a return to a constitutional republic once the Cold War ended.

Members of the Old Right – truly great thinkers like John T. Flynn and Murray Rothbard – who pointed out the absurdity of fighting totalitarianism by becoming totalitarian would be disparaged by Buckley, who was paid well for his efforts to drum these people and their classical liberal ideas out of the public square.

Thankfully, he wasn’t successful. One needs to observe Ron Paul’s fantastic presidential campaign today and the growing importance of Old Right publications such as The American Conservative compared to the sad state of Buckley’s own National Review (which is virtually unknown to anyone under 40). The rise of the Internet and its decentralizing effect on information disbursement has allowed Old Right ideas to break out again. Young people are reading Rothbard’s histories of economic thought and monetary treatises; they hardly know of Buckley’s God and Man at Yale, and much less of his sex novels.

Which is not to say that Buckley has not been influential. That voters are choosing presidential candidates promising more war and security is a testament to his defense of the Leviathan State. But the future belongs to the young, and the young, who are inheriting both tens of trillions of dollars of debt and dangerous blowback resulting from decades of bad foreign policy interventions, are rejecting Buckley-ism in favor of policies that promote peace and freedom.

Few obituaries written will note Buckley as someone who labored to make the nation-state among T.S. Elliot’s Permanent Things by standing athwart those who opposed it, its wars, and its redistribution. Still, one doesn’t relish writing that he died this week, alone, at his home in Stamford, Connecticut. May he rest in peace.

February 28, 2008

Chris Westley teaches economics at Jacksonville State University, Alabama.

Attribution

Christopher Westley?

"Which is not to say that Buckley has not been influential."

He doesn't seem to know precisely what he is trying to say about Mr. Buckley, does he?

Where do you dredge up these nonsense spewing nut cases?

John

Back