Will this gun be good for comp?

thercman

Inactive
Hello Everyone!

I am planning to buy my first handgun (I have shot handguns before) and I want to use it for competition/carry.

I am planning to purchase a Kimber Gold Match Stainless II™ / .45 ACP. Will this be a good gun to starting shooting competition with? I was hoping it will be good out of the box and not require any smithing. Or, would it be better to buy something less expensive and have it worked on?

The 1911's feel really good in my hand which is why I am leaning towards them. Does anyone have any other model/manufacturer they would recommend? By the way. This gun is at the top of my price range so Ed Brown, STI and the like are out. Thanks in advance!

Kimber

What kind of competition are you considering?
The factory Kimber is a serviceable Bullseye gun. A friend of mine shoots one and is happy with it's performance. He shoots steadily Expert scores
An issue for the Comp/carry scenario is that - if Bullseye pistol is part of the plan - target loads (aside from Leg matches) tend to be fairly mild, frequently requiring the use of lighter recoil springs in order to insure reliable function. It is only the work of a moment to switch between springs but one does have to remember to do it.
Pete

I am considering USPSA. There is a range pretty close to me so that is probably where I will end up. :D

Yeah I was wondering about the different ammo used and springs. I guess it would make sense to change the spring while cleaning the weapon after a session.

About the ammo, so you mean wad cutters? Or is there a specific type just for comp?

As a side note here are the specs on the Kimber. They show a spring weight of 16lbs. Is that ideal for target or general use?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just getting into the hobby/sport and would like to know as much as I can.

Model: Gold Match Stainless II™ / .45 ACP
Similar models
available include: Gold Match Stainless II™ - 9 mm New

Caliber: .45 ACP
Features: Overside 5-inch barrel fitted by hand in the Custom Shop for accuracy.
Kimber's adjustable sight with positive and responsive steel-on-steel click adjustment dials.
An 8-round magazine is standard with all Gold Match, Team Match and Target Match pistols.
Premium Aluminum Trigger™ is standard on all Gold Match and Team Match pistols.
All Gold Match and Team Match pistols have an ambidextrous thumb safety.

Specifications: Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.25
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 38
Length (inches): 8.7
Magazine capacity: 8
Ambidextrous thumb safety
Recoil spring (pounds): 16.0
Full length guide rod

Frame: Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Highly polished stainless steel (flats)
Width (inches): 1.28

Slide: Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Highly polished stainless steel (flats)
Front serrations

Barrel: Length (inches): 5
Steel, match grade
Stainless steel match grade bushing
Twist rate (left hand): 16

Sights: Kimber adjustable
Radius (inches): 6.8

Grips: Rosewood
Double diamond

Trigger: Premium Aluminum Match Grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 3.5 - 4.0

The Kimber you are looking at is suitable for USPSA, either in Single Stack, or with some 10 round magazines, Limited-10.

You will be shooting at Major Power Factor, which means the least expensive hardball ammo you can find if you do not handload. The stock recoil spring is fine.

Kimber

Yep, what he said.
For Bullseye, you can shoot anything but LSWCs are the most common since they tend to cut nice clean holes, easier for scoring.
Pete

Thanks!

Do you think spending a little bit more $$ for a STI would be worth it. Would it be a better base to improve upon in the future? Or is there not going to be much of a differnce in quality for a few hundered dollar difference? :confused:

Do you think spending a little bit more $$ for a STI would be worth it. Would it be a better base to improve upon in the future? Or is there not going to be much of a differnce in quality for a few hundered dollar difference?

Unless your are certain that you will love competitive pistol competition, why not buy the Kimber and shoot some matches.

There is a whole lot more to it than equipment. If you buy the Kimber, wring it out thoroughly BEFORE your first match to assure reliability.

Good Luck,

RMD

Cool! So to "wring it out thoroughly" would entail what exactly?

Also on the flip side, is that to much to much gun?

Cool! So to "wring it out thoroughly" would entail what exactly?
"wring it out" means make sure it runs with whatever ammo you get. Make sure all the mags work (USPSA single stack means 4 mags min, but 5-6 is not out of line). Make sure the sights are on target; pistol zeros vary by preference but zeroing at 15 yds and knowing where it hits at 25-35 should be enough, unless you know the matches shoot handgun past 35 yds.

Also on the flip side, is that to much to much gun?
Could be too much, or not enough. :) That one has a bunch of features which make it sound expensive. While a minimum list of features is hard to narrow down, I would say adjustable sights for sure. Enough shooters require a beaver-tail safety that it should be there. The accuracy features ("Overside 5-inch barrel fitted by hand") are nice but not necessary for USPSA.

A 16lb spring is stock for ball ammo. When you start reloading and reduce the loads a little, a lighter spring would be ok, and will make the gun feel much easier to shoot. Regardless, leave it in factory trim until you are sure the gun runs fine in case it has to go back for warranty work.

Lee

Back