Will the Proposed AWB Sunset Affect You?

acmax2k

Inactive
As I'm sure most of us are aware, the "Assault Weapons" Ban of the 1994 Crime Bill is soon scheduled to expire. (Find something wooden to knock on). If this "legislation" goes away and stays away, have you given any forward thought as to how (or even if) this would potentially affect your tactics, habits or inventory.

Some personal Examples:

I would play with the thought of converting one of the AR's to 9mm as a SMG would fill a CQB capability I don't currently have and 30 round 9mm AR-15 magazines should no longer command a price of $100 each.

Prior to 1994, I was a .40 cal handgun man. After the ban, I stepped up to .45 since I'm limited to 10 rounds per pistol mag. As much as I love the 1911's, the thought of being able to go back to 15 rounds of .40 in a quality DA pistol is really appealing. This in turn would probably alter my CCW habits by altering my carry piece. As a result, I would no longer by carrying a "Condition 1" 1911.

I don't mean this a political debate, simply wondering how this might affect you and your personal defense habits.

I already have "high capacity" magazines for most of my carry guns...

...Wilson 47D's. :D

I am considering building a .38 Super/9x23 piece on a 2011 frame just to celebrate, though. :cool:

I'll probably put a collapsing stock on my M4gery. Can never have too many mags, and if they're cheap - so much the better! :)

It won't really effect my carry guns. I already have hi-caps for the hi-cap pistols I carry, though I usually carry a .45, and with the exception of my Glock 21 which I sometimes carry, none of them were effected by the ban anyway.

I will be purchasing a couple of AR lowers with telestocks for future complete guns, and once mag prices are reasonable, I'll buy more mags for my pistols.

I am planning on buying a couple of pistols that I wouldn't if full cap mags were still selling for an arm and a leg, which include:

Glock 19
CZ 75 P-01
USP 9 Compact

All in all, the ban moved me to .45 carry guns, and I don't see that changing, though I do plan to buy the above 9mm pistols. I will still carry a .45 more often than anything else.

It won't affect my 9mm's as I already have full capacity mags for them, or my .45s, but my 3 full sized .40s might get some new mags. I've been pretty comfortable with the 10 rounders, but why not maximize your potential? If somebody ends up making quality 30 round mags for my Mini-14, I'll look at them, but am ok with the original 20-rounders I've had for years. I doubt Ruger will make them. All in all, except for it being just flat wrong, the ban hasn't affected me too much.

I'm really looking forward to the availability of magazines. I hate the fact that it got to the point that I'd happily pay $30 for mags you couldn't give away for $12 before the ban.

Its also affected my decisions in buying rifles/pistols. I would love to put an M1A in the locker, but I haven't yet because I'm just not paying $60 for USGI magazines to feed it.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm still a newbee and I don't know all of the issues fully. As I understand, (isn't this the Brady Bill), if this law isn't renewed, on Sept. 14, 2004, once again gun owners can purchase "hi-capacity" magazine clips. Is that correct? Also, will that affect my pistol in anyway or will new types of clips be made, allowing more bullets to be held. In addition, what other changes will be made?

No highjack at all. Some of the major functions of the "Assault Weapons Ban" section of the 1994 Crime Bill include what Congress defines as an assault weapon. It is classified as an assault weapon if a gun has more than 2 of the following features.

Bayonet Lug
Flash Suppressor
Conspicuous Pistol Grip
Folding or Telescoping Stock
and the big one-The ability to accept a detachable magazine which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammo.

This was designed to affect many military like arms available to civilians such as the AR 15 family, AKs and their variants, HKs, UZIs, etc, etc, and just about anything cool.

The 10 rounds of ammo clause (hi cap magazine ban) is applicable to long arms and handguns. The good news however, is that your current handgun should not be affected one way or another. In the best case, high cap mags should be available again which will function just fine in your gun just the way it is. When this law went into effect, manufacturers of high cap mags simply "plugged" (for lack of a better word) new mags to only accept 10 rounds while keeping the exact same magazine body.

Ive always wanted one of those military model mini-14 with the folding stock, i think ill get one as an early christmas present to my self LOL. Plus im buying a handgun soon, and hi-cap mags would be really nice if i didnt have to buy them seperate from the pistol.

Yes

Very much so:

Ditto here on probably getting a .38 super - 20 rounds of .38 super in a 1911 will be nice. Plus, I want a Beta AR mag. I want a super vepr with 20 rounders, *if* 20-rounders become available. I want more 15 round mags in 10mm for my CQB carbine - it's a Mech-Tech upper and G20 lower. I want an XD full-sized in .40, with fullcaps. I want more, cheap fullcaps for my CZ75. I want a FN-FiveseveN with 20 rounders. On and on.

:( Yes, when my $125.00 Glock full-capacity 45acp magazines suddenly drop to, about, $30-$35.00 apiece, I think I'll be very upset. I'll probably laugh and cry, all, at the same time! :eek:

Yes it will effect me as well. I have been wanting a couple of new AR's but haven't gotten around to buying them. So I decided Sept 15, I will go buy both of them.

i am already putting money away for the glock carbine.
uh, you guys do know that they are building a 200 yard range, right?

The way Clinton was acting in his first term I sold all of my collectable guns and focused on fighting firearms. I have about all I want/need in that respect so I may try to reclaim some of the collectable guns I sold off or I may buy one or two just for fun. I have been thinking about a 10mm or 9x23 built on a STI frame. Either way my focus will be on training, after this Iraq rotation is done I will sink about 6K into training classes.

If the rumors are true I may eventually end up with a Sig 551 or an AUG in a few years.

One of the more promising scenarios would be the incentive to develop new rifles/pistols/carbines....

Now that they aren't limited on mag capacity

For the last 10 years mfg's had to build around existing hicaps

Financially it will. I am already looking at purchasing an M-4/CAR-15 with all the evil features that the so-called law banned. I will then put my trust pre-ban Frankensteinian CAR-15 in teh safe for a much-needed retirement.

I'm keeping my fingers, eyes, toes, arms and legs crossed that the AWB does sunset.

:D

I'm hoping to trade one of my Walther P-99s for a H&K USP...lor just buying one outright if I can afford it.

If yall need some good prices on 30rd ar-15 mags, I get mine from RGUNS.NET. They have Colt, Labelle, and others starting at $15. Ive bought several from em and they look like NEW! And the ship very fast!

Back