Will the NRA hold Trump to his promise?

The national carry law doesn't mean much to me. In fact, it would probably be a great way to get into big trouble in DC, New Jersey and California - I feel certain that those states would go out of their way to NOT recognize even a federal right to carry. Also, I fear that a federal right to carry law can too easily be converted into defacto gun and gun owner registration.

However, I'd like to see the repeal of the '86 machine gun ban. But, I'd settle for something that would make it harder for states and later presidents to ban "assault weapons", magazines, handguns and ammo by executive order.

Yes, they most like will.
Especially after learning the hard way from the results of not doing so after previous presidents and false promises.

I don't think we will ever see a national carry law. I think some pro-gun lawmakers would vote against it out of fear of not being re-elected. It doesn't impact me at all. I have both a Virginia and Utah concealed carry permit and since I don't go north of the Mason Dixon line, every state I might enter honors one or the other.

Im not certain of its possible to keep the government from having a list of firearms owners. It seems like they keep a list of everything. They might even know what you purchased on your credit card. Im afraid in the modern world privacy is not guranteed. I have more hope under Trump, but the fact is the trend is towards having zero privacy.

The national carry law doesn't mean much to me. In fact, it would probably be a great way to get into big trouble in DC, New Jersey and California - I feel certain that those states would go out of their way to NOT recognize even a federal right to carry. Also, I fear that a federal right to carry law can too easily be converted into defacto gun and gun owner registration.

However, I'd like to see the repeal of the '86 machine gun ban. But, I'd settle for something that would make it harder for states and later presidents to ban "assault weapons", magazines, handguns and ammo by executive order.
They don't have a choice. Obamacare and Gay marriage have proven that they would have to comply.

They don't have a choice. Obamacare and Gay marriage have proven that they would have to comply.

I don't want to be the first, second or 101th test case where, say California, disregards the law (as it does with immigration and legalized marijuana), arrests me for carrying a firearm without a California-issued CCW and makes me run it through a trial court, the 9th Circuit and then to the Supreme Court. Do you?

Nope but freedom has to be fought for. Luckily, someone will have the guts to do it.

Last edited:
^^^ But what if the lawsuit doesn't go our way and the SCOTUS rules that the 2A does NOT convey a right to carry concealed? Was it worth the effort?

Also, keep in mind that Skans' hypothetical example is only one way restrictive states and cities could play at keeping non-local CCWs out. They could pass a law requiring that carry guns must be on the state's approved list, complete with 12# trigger and magazine disconnect. All carry guns must be entered into the state's registration database, a 2-month process which requires forms to be filled out in triplicate and notarized, including license plate numbers for whatever vehicles you may be driving – better keep that up to date! I could keep going but I don't want to give them too many ideas. :rolleyes:

Databases are more advanced and shocking than anyone thinks. Just ask any police officer how their fancy plate scanner works. They drive by a car and an alarm goes off if something is wrong with the owner or car. Its getting even more advanced with facial and voice recognition. There is no escaping databases. In fact, I bet the local pds plate scanner already alerts the officer if you own a firearm. I do know the authorities have the ability to track your car across the country by subscribing to a private network of plate scanners. IMHO what you fear is already here....

Nationwide CCW is better left to a SCOTUS decision with some new judges.

Pass a law...when the tide changes, we ALL lose the CCW right. I would MUCH rather see a CCW Reciprocity law but still leave the permits up to the States.

^Yes. Thankfully. But most of the "movements" and even portions of the NRA group have been pushing for a Nationwide CCW law.

Guy from CA posting here . I would love to see a national right to carry .

But what if the lawsuit doesn't go our way and the SCOTUS rules that the 2A does NOT convey a right to carry concealed?

The national law if written correctly would state open , concealed or both . Then leave it up to the individual states to choose which they prefer . As for the lawsuit I'd take that bet and be willing to be that guy . IMHO there's no way the right to carry in some manner would be found unconstitutional . To much case law allowing it . The Peruta case
was a concealed carry only case and there has been very little case law supporting concealed carry . On the other hand lots of case law accepting open carry .

Guy from CA posting here . I would love to see a national right to carry .

The national law if written correctly would state open , concealed or both . Then leave it up to the individual states to choose which they prefer . As for the lawsuit I'd take that bet and be willing to be that guy . IMHO there's no way the right to carry in some manner would be found unconstitutional . To much case law allowing it . The Peruta case was a concealed carry only case and there has been very little case law supporting concealed carry . On the other hand lots of case law accepting open carry .
Good deal Sir. Once the law changes it will take good citizens like yourself to make sure those freedoms are restored.

Back