Will Republican Control = Falling ammo prices?

I suspect it’s possible if the supply outpaces the demand. However, I also suspect any change will be short lived as manufactures cut production and/or shift resources to other products.

I doubt it. To my knowledge there have not been any laws other than State/local laws impacting ammunition prices. Bans and threats of laws/restrictions impacted types of weapons back in the Clinton years. The threat of changes has caused mass purchases of firearms and ammunition due to shortages in the past maybe to include some of the deadly shooting incidents.

Even if laws are not changed, the concerns/fears of recent incidents due to terrorist, unlawful gangs, and similar threats will cause citizens to buy firearms and ammunition to prepare for self defense.

The old truth concerning supply and demand.

California is being stirred in a jar of jam due to their voters putting into effect very strict ammunition purchase procedures which will increase ammunition prices. Seems like the liberals and tax needs will possibly seek taxing as a way to attack the pro-gun folks and raise needed taxes.

The rise in the cost of ammunition in past years is due to demand, material cost, labor cost, insurance and etc. I personally think HAZMAT cost is spread unfairly over small shipments like primers and powder to assist offset the cost of large mass shipments of chemicals and hazardous materials. I don't know this to be a fact but is a suspicion on my part.

You can combat some of the cost by reloading especially in States like California.

Not Going To Happen

The ammunition manufacturers have us used to the higher pricing and will keep the prices at or maybe a little bit below the prices now.
When prices were higher and all were in a panic those buyers paid the premium and profits (hopefully) soared for the companies. The shareholder loved the bigger dividends and will want to see them keep coming in.
:cool:

I am of the opinion that if there is no fear that ammo will disappear the hoarding behavior I have seen over the past few years will ease up. I can see prices stabilizing or possibly going down a bit.

I think you may well run across some deals on private sales from guys who stockpiled more than they need. But for the most part ammo prices have held pretty close to where they should be. Availability was an issue for a while, but that hasn't been a problem for a while now.

6-7 dollars for a box of brass cased plinking .223 ammunition is probably already rock bottom.

The steel stuff may drop

P5 Guy said:
The ammunition manufacturers have us used to the higher pricing...
I dunno about the higher price assertion; I think it depends on your reference point.

In my area, street prices on common centerfire calibers are generally lower than they've ever been during the last ten years. Prices may be higher than they were in the 1990s, but those low prices were caused by a unique convergence of market factors that will never reoccur, i.e. the fall of the Iron Curtain. Prices now are generally lower than historic norms when adjusted for inflation.

As I've written in other threads, rimfire in general and .22LR in particular is a mixed bag; we've finally returned to state of steady supply and good selection at mainstream big-box stores, but prices on the cheap stuff have gone up; $8.88 bricks of Federal 550 at Walmart are likely going to become a distant memory.

The situation in CA is unique and unlikely to be reflected nationwide.

I think that a better summary of the post-election situation is that prices won't spike upwards.

The price of ammunition is largely driven by the cost of the components. What are cases made of? Brass. What's brass made of? Copper.

GraphEngine.ashx

What are bullets made of? Lead.

GraphEngine.ashx

Your Congress has nothing to do with retail pricing. Neither does the cost of the components. More about increased wages, taxes and transportation costs. Plus a certain amount of interference by unelected civil servants busy making law by regulation.
Brass is made of copper and zinc. Lead is getting pricey because of its toxicity. Isn't used in industry as much as it used to be.

If the new administration gets the US into more shooting wars, which some people are predicting, ammunition in military calibers may well go up in price if less is available at retail, and others may follow if increased demand from the military results in shortages of materials.

Lead is getting pricey because of its toxicity.
Also note that the last primary (ore to lead), smelter in the U.S. has shut down. There is still a demand for lead for auto batteries and other batteries (marine, solar systems, etc.), that use lead as well as Nuclear Medicine in Hospitals. These uses will likely drive up the price of lead as the supply inside the U.S. diminishes. Any new lead will have to be shipped (expensive compared to mining our own), to the U.S. from countries that still mine and refine it.

Of course the cost of the components affects retail pricing. How can it not? Obviously, wages and transportation are also factors, but you can't seriously argue that the price of the raw materials could double without causing the retail price of the product (any product, not just ammunition) to go up.

In fact, ammunition is produced largely on automated machinery, so labor isn't a huge factor. But look at the raw materials. From around 2000 to 2012, the price of copper jumped from about 75 cents/pound to a high of almost $4.50. That's an increase of 500 percent. As of November of this year, it's back down to around $2.25, which is "only" 200 percent more than the price in 2000.

Likewise, the raw price of lead spiked around 2008 and is now back down to "only" about 200 percent more than it was in 2000.

No manufacturer can simply absorb a 200 percent increase in the cost of the raw materials without passing the increase on to the retail market. And retailers typically work to a straight mark-up, so if their cost for a product goes up 50 percent and their mark-up is 30 percent, the retail price has to go up proportionally.

I hope prices for revolver ammo become a little more sane. When .38SPL costs more than .45ACP, something is wrong with the world.....

The only way Congress can impact the cost of ammo is to roll back regulations made by agencies and to allow more than 1 lead smelter to operate. The other way is to release the ammo bought by agencies that bought 1,000's of rounds like the Dept. of Education, E.P.A., ect.

I would never rely on a politician Republican or Democrat for anything gun related, both have passed some laws that haven't done us well. Keeping certain politicians out of office is the best idea.

As was said, it's supply and demand and on top of that, prices on making the components that we need. China uses more copper then the rest of the world combined and in the last decade has been the driving force behind the rise in price. Not to mention all the other natural resources that they suck up.

Add in what the EPA does to companies here in America that work with lead, steel, oil... that doesn't help us out either. Doubt it will get better in the near future, unless someone comes up with a cheaper way to make ammo.

My dad and I were talking about how much .22 ammo is, he told me a story about my grandfather and .22 when he was a kid. He said that my grandfather hit the roof when the price of .22 went from a half cent to a cent! Kinda funny when you think about it now a days but it's really no different from now. This was back in the 40's when all those half cents added up!

The only way Congress can impact the cost of ammo is to roll back regulations made by agencies and to allow more than 1 lead smelter to operate.
Uhhh. There are NO primary (ore to lead) lead smelters in operation in the U.S. There still are secondary lead smelters, but they just reclaim existing lead from other sources (old car batteries, nuclear medicine containers, wheel weights, etc.).

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20131025/end-of-an-era-last-us-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december

50 shooter, I can remember as a kid when .22 shorts were 38 cents a box of 50.

It was just over 4 years ago when Academy was selling the value pack of 525 rounds of Remington for about $15.00 give or take a few cents. Most shooters think they are getting a deal for the same pack at forty bucks. I bought 3 boxes back at the time and still have close to 2 left. I don't shoot much in my couple of .22 rifles.

re: Tony Pasley

"The other way is to release the ammo bought by agencies that bought 1,000's of rounds like the Dept. of Education, E.P.A., ect. "

Not trying to move this thread off costs but I think Tony's input merits further review. Over the past few years I have heard, and I must call them rumors as I have seen no real substantiation, of VAST purchases of ammunition by odd agencies of the Federal Government: IRS, US Postal Service, Homeland Security, Bureau of Land Management, EPA, etc. Everything from .22 through 50 Cal.

Any substantiation to these "rumors"? What possible use could these "peripheral" agencies have for such a stash? Buying in such quantities has to elevate the price to a civilian consumers.

Back