Will Colt start making the Python Again?

Stoic

Does anyone have the current information about whether Colt will begin making the Python again from its custom shop? When, if ever, will it be released for sale and when will production begin?

jhunnetaz,

Thank you for the reply. I searched the forum and found information about the release of new 1911's from the poster that you listed [go figure since it's a 1911 forum]. The author of the threads is apparently a Colt Factory Representative.

However, there was a bit of information regarding the types of firearms that Colt submitted to California for testing under their new law. The 6 inch Colt Python Stainless was included in the list. Hence, one might conclude that Colt is considering the release of new stainless Pythons in the immediate near future.

If anyone has any additional news, then please post it! I'd love to have a new Python.

Why is anybody concerned about Colt making guns? Do they seem too concerned about quality for the last 20 years?

Did they seem too concerned about you when they put all of the eggs in one basket?

You slammed S&W, do the same with colt.

ladr, what are you talking about? Colt quality has dropped and prices rose since 1980, but that is probably because there is a VERY small market for hand built pistols, using union labor, at $2500 gun. Not much mass production at that price point. They do not have the market niche nor image of a Les Baer. They did the same thing Seecamp has done recently by using CNC equipment to increase production, hence the 50% market price drop on Seecamp pistols in the last two years. What is wrong with a gun company 'putting all its' eggs in one basket'? Granted Colt does knives, but S&W is doing bicycles and teddy bears. I don't really understand your statement. Why should Colt be put in the same category as a company that cuts deals with the govt to voluntarily enforce a law that could not be passed through our three branches of govt? Question is what do you mean by the statement, 'You slammed S&W, do the same with Colt'?

I've heard that the new Pythons will be built on new CNC machines. This should modernize the Python and increase its quality in the same manner that CNC helped the 1911 with Kimber.

Colt could not sell their overpriced revolvers, quality was not there. The choice was made to drop everything but a few things and pursue the service contact, which fell through.

Yes, S&W signed it's death warrant,fools. What I never understood was the people saying do not buy the older smiths. IMO, smith makes a better revolver then colt.

Look at the gun tests, NONE of the current colts being produced finish in the top. But yet people are getting excited because guns that would not sell prior is being made again? Go figure.

Slammed? Colt did not CARE for its customers, it just wanted the service contract.

Okay, here's the deal....

For the last year the Colt was still offering revolvers all but the Python and the single actions were being built by Rodger Hunziker, owner of Phillips and Rogers in Texas. The Python and the single actions were being built in the Colt custom shop.
Colt recognized that quality control had went down hill to the point that it no longer existed in their own shop. They hired Rodger as a consultant and manufacture. They had even asked him to develope a multi caliber Colt ala the Meduza, which Roger developed and currently markets. But Stilwa was in charge as CEO and could mess up a wet dream. Stilwa, by the way, had never even owned a gun personally prior to becoming CEO of Colt. He had spent his life working within the federal government. His last gig was with NASA before going to Colt. It became common practice for Rodger to complete a series of revolvers and ready them for shipping only to have Colt call and tell him to tear them back down and use the parts to build other models. Exasperating to be sure.
Roger, whom I've been friends with for years and at that point in history talked with practically daily, is meticulous when it comes to building guns.....when left alone to do that. (Even though few people are familiar with Phillips and Rogers in the gun world they produce some beautiful custom guns out of their shop, which for all intents and purposes is a "skunk works". At P&R nothing is simply a production piece. Everthing is either perfect or it does not leave the shop.)
Roger was consulting with me about redesigning the grip/grip frame on the Anaconda, which people were complaining about, in my little shop when Colt decided to go out of the revolver business.
Colt did not sell us out as Smith and Wesson did. They were not as responsive to customer complaints as they should have been. But at the time all of the turmoil was due to mismanagement coming from the very top of the company. Now that Stilwa is gone and they are getting back into the market I will be surprised if the quality that Colt was once known for in the old days is not there. Especially if some or all of their revovlers are being built by a little known skunk works shop hidden in rural Texas.;)

Gunslinger,

Thank you for the insightful response and the "insider information". Does P&R currently assemble new custom Colt Pythons for sale using any left over parts from the parts bin at Colt? And, If so, what would be the price and their contact information? :) :)

I wish I could say they do.

But, unfortunately they do not. Colt took back all of the parts when they went out of the revolver business.:(

Gunslinger, only one thing, it was Silwa not Stilwa. ;) Then Silwa went to iColt (smart gun) after the reorg. When funding dried up iColt division closed up.

Back