Will Benelli M1 tactical shoot slugs?

No problem shooting slugs. I do it with mine all the time. I was once told not do it with anything tighter than the IC choke.

With its rifle or ghost ring sights, a M1 makes a decent slug thrower. I don't recommend shooting 3" magnums out of it though, unless you have an iron shoulder. My shoulder was black and blue last time I shot 5 boxes of 3" 600gr Brenneke slugs through my M1.

Paochow said it all about shooting 3" magnum loads.

I have been working with my M1 Field to make a slug gun out of it for grizzly defense. I added an 18" barrel with ghost rings sights and tried some of those abusive Brenneke 3" Magnum slugs with the cylinder and IC chokes, but was disappointed in my groups at 25 yards. There were some disconcerting fliers.

I added an extended rifled tube and tried some sabot slugs, and am very pleased so far. I'm getting consistent 1.5" groups at 25 yards with Federal Premium and Winchester Supreme 2 3/4 sabots. The only downside is, be sure to lube the rifled choke tube well, because the torque of the rifling screws it on TIGHT. The flimsy little wrench that came with the choke was worthless. I wound up putting the barrel in a vise and using a pipe wrench to get the choke off.

If I were going to shoot several rounds at the range, I'd take the choke off, clean and re-lube it every 10 rounds or so.
Good Shooting, CoyDog

If your M1 has choke tubes and they are the thin wall type be carefull and use IC. Check for cracks often at the muzzle end if you plan to shoot alot of slugs.

Back