Will an 1851 Pietta 44 Barrel assy fit on my Pietta 1860?

I have swapped out some of my '51s and '60s, but not all will swap. Sometimes the alignment pins have just enough difference that it won't work.

So, I have to say "maybe".:cool:

It's my understanding that the main parts from the Pietta .44 "navy" and the Pietta 1860's are interchangeable. (By 'main parts' I mean barrel, cylinder, grips, not sure about the frame but I would think you can).

Yeah, it will work. The 60 and 51 in .44 are the same frame. The frame for the .36 navy is the same but it has to be rebated for the .44 cylinder. That's the only difference. As to the grips interchanging they will if you change grips, trigger guard and back strap as a complete unit. The grip frame for the 51 in .44 is the same(I think)as the 60 army. The 51 in .36 has a smaller grip.

I have a brand new '60 snub nose Pietta from Taylors... Date code of 2015 IIRC. I regularly put the barrel off of an ANCIENT Navy Arms Pietta .44 that some call a "G&G" in .44 and some refer to as the "Confederal" model (Nope, thats really how they spell it!).. Either way, it not only works but works great and looks sharp to my way of thinking....

Of course YMMV, but as I understand it, and in my VERY limited experience, they certainly SEEM to be interchangeable... Of course, if YOU arnt 100% sure about what youre doing then its always best to check in REAL LIFE with someone who does and can inspect it, in hand, before ya take any chances..

I keep thinking - I'd rather have a steel frame Pietta 1851 in .36 cal . However for $150 & free shipping. That short barrel, brass frame, 44 is calling my name...

It's only $150...

Thinking I'd be hard pressed to find a barrel assembly for that price.

have to agree with "Beagle" with a maybe. Not all the 60 will line up exactly either. Have 3 Pietta 60's two are one year apart ( 2012-13) and one is 90's, anyhow, the two pins and holes won't exactly line up with either of the newer ones and the older, in fact there is a slight difference in the newer two as when swapped, the barrel assembly on one protrudes slightly outside the lower, holes and pins line up ok, but you can see and feel the difference.

I got one on the way, + a Ted Cash snail pistol capper, and a Persoli spout kit. Will test it out a few months from now.

IIRC one of my Pietta 1860's is dated 2015. I imagine Cabela's doesn't let inventory sit very long.

drobs

It seems to me the best thing, would be to buy an assembled gun of the caliber you want, on sale at Cabelas. On the few pistols that I have, the pin locations seem to vary and the fit of barrel to frame can be tight, even on a supposed matched unit.

After you insert the cylinder pin into the barrel section, and then if you find that the two locating pins don't line up with thier holes, you will need to start filing the tight sides of those pins to make them fit. You could also try relocating the holes in one side or the other, but you better have some machine shop capabilities for that. Just replacing a broken pin can be a hassle.

And what if the frame to barrel contour is not smooth...more grinding or filing. Maybe I'm just not lucky, but I can't see opening that can of worms. There seems to be things to fix on even an assembled pistol. I like to fix things, but it's nice when you don't need to fix things and can just shoot.

Last edited:
I'm a civy contractor at the US Navy Base in Djibouti. Nothing high speed - just logistics / procurement. Peaceful here compared to the 4 years I spent in Iraq.

This 51 looks pretty cool. Maybe I need a pair?

28635737693_c62fae701c_b.jpg

28635737633_3a4e973ffc_b.jpg

$149.99 + $5.00 shipping how can you beat that?

Last edited:
Man, I don't think I could put enough smoke on that loading lever to shave the ball. I would need a PVC cheater. Short and sweet though. :)

i have both a 1860 and 1861 piettas. sure would be a great way to get a short barrel, extra cylinder, springs and spare screws. even the bolt stop, hammer, hand and trigger might fit other pieces.

Back