Will a Remington 700 stock fit a Remington 788?

Smaug

I've got a 788 from the 70s. The 788 was a budget version of the 700. Plain bolt handle, and completely uncheckered and undecorated stock. The varnish was getting gummy and coming off, so I refinished it. It looks better'n it did before, but you definitely wouldn't mistake it for a factory finish. ;)

IMGP3211.jpg

IMGP3212.jpg

IMGP3214.jpg

IMGP3216.jpg

IMGP3215.jpg

I know the basic action is the same as that of a 700 from that era.

So I'm wondering if I could pick up a stock for a 700 somewhere and freshen up the old girl?

I'm hoping there's someone here old enough to remember them. If not, can you take a look at the pix and let me know if it looks the same?

same actions.....don't think so

Yeah, both the 788 and the 700 were bolt actions, but the similarity ends quickly. The 700 has locking lugs up front ala Mauser. The 788 locks at the rear with the multiple lugs shown in your photo.

The "budget version" of the 700 was the 700 ADL (as opposed to the BDL model). I'm thinking the 788 was entirely different design. It was made to sell at a price point below the 700 as you note.

I doubt much interchanges. The darn things had a reputation for being accurate.

Will a Remington 700 stock fit a Remington 788?
No. Different action.
The 788 was a budget version of the 700.
I know the basic action is the same as that of a 700 from that era.
No, not even close to being the same. Different animal altogether. Made by Remington, but that is where the similarity ends.
I've got a 788 from the 70s.
Cool rifle. Generally great shooters, but heavy.

If you want a stock, call Richards Microfit.

The wood on the 788 is walnut veneered birch. I didn't refinish either of mine. I put RamLines on them. If re-stocking, there are two action lengths - one for the 308 family and one for the 223, 22-250.

The 788 and 700 are two completely different rifles, as has already been said. I wonder if your confusion is coming from the fact that the Model 78 Sportsman was the economy version of the 700. Model 700 ADL stocks do indeed interchange with the 78 Sportsman, but not the 788.

The 788 was indeed an economy rifle, but it turned out to be incredibly accurate. I had a 6mm version. It was butt ugly but it sure shot well. Naturally I traded it off when I became more prosperous and could afford a prettier rifle. I wish I had it now.

Well, thanks for the education

As for being accurate, I'm not sure. I haven't been able to do better than about 1.5" at 100 yds.

That's with handloads. Factory was more like 3". But I'll try some more.

Back