Will a Kahr P9 survive shooting school?

bigvon

Inactive
I really like a Kahr P9 for carry. I want to attend classes at Gunsite, who say to bring the gun you will be carrying as the course gun. My question is whether I should bring my Kahr and put thousands of rounds through it and buy another for carry? To buy another seems a little extreme. Maybe I should just bring my 1911? I guess I am concerned about the reliability of the little plastic frame...
Thanks
Bill

I think it can take it. Regular ammo that is. My kahr doesn`t like plus P stuff and it does seem harsh on the frame. But I have complete confidence with regular ammo. Mine has about 1200 rds threw it but no more plus P.

Why don't you email Kahr and ask them directly? I have a P9, and asked about using it with +P and +P+ ammo; Kahr's reply was that it was OK for both.

Of course, I had some other problems with my P9 that required sending it back to the factory - twice! - for repair/modification. (Had premature slide lockback and occasional FTF when the trigger was pulled - the trigger wasn't engaging the striker or something.) I now have about 175 rounds through it with no problems. But, considering the pistol's history, until my problem-free round count is up around 500, I won't entirely trust it enough to carry.

And if I get ONE more malfunction of ANY type in the next 325 rounds, I'll trade it for something that actually works.

I have seen articles where Gunsite actually "likes" Kahrs. I doubt if firing 1000 rounds through yours would hurt it. I'd watch the +P stuff though.

Only trouble I've had with mine in about 300 rounds is with some reloaded ammo. I had some brass that had apparently been shot with very hot loads and the head area had expanded so far that it wouldn't size back to specs. This prevented its chambering fully and gave me some troublesome stoppages.

It is VERY important to check each round to make sure it goes ALL the way into the chamber of the disassembles barrel. (I do not necessarily recommend working the ammo through the action of the assembled pistol.) When I figured out the cause of my problem, it was something of a hassle to gauge almost 2,000 rounds, but I did it, and have had no more problem.

My little pistol functions flawlessly with the gauged ammo and with all the three brands of factory loads I've run through it.

To be fair, the ungauged ammo with oversized brass gave similar problems in a Kel Tec, a Glock 19, and an Inglis/Browning High Power, so the problem was NOT with the Kahr.

I suggest that anyone attending an intensive firearms training course take a spare firearm. After all, you will probably be poutting the equivalent of several years' normal service wear and tear on the pistol in just a few days. And stuff happens. Having a spare, even if not the same exact type, will allow you to continue to get the benefit of the course, without being forced into spending a lot of money in a true seller's market.

Best regards,
Johnny

Back