Wild hog ham!

txdragon

I am back with another project from the pig I took last weekend. Ham. Who doesn't like a good ol' slice of ham with some eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy? Or a ham sandwich with some swiss cheese on toast? Or just a slice on a plate? NOBODY in my family will turn down this country staple, so I am making a couple from the hinds from my recent kill, wich I will now refer to as,"wild thing". Pictured below is one of 2 hinds defrosting enough to start breaking down for salting.

I am sparing some space and just showing the first pic in the beginning cure, but the aich bone was removed along with the hind shank (I have other plans for that little rascal!) I lined my piggy tub with some newspaper, generously salted all sides, paying particular attention to getting inside all the bone areas.

I will cure first with just salt over the next 10 days, repacking more salt every 48 hours and draining all the juices from the tub. After the 10 day salt pack, I will then mix a sweet brine with a few select herbs and spices and soak it for another 10 days, changing the brine mix one time in mid-process. Then the leg will dry in the fridge for 72 hours and get some smoke. More pics along the way, of course. Stay tuned all!!

Phase 2 of curing began today!
Gave the ol' ham a rinse and it's looking really good!

Then it went into the sweet bath! It will wet cure for a week. The cure is simple: Water, brown sugar, white sugar, cure#1. I will change out on day 3, and by day 6 should be ready to dry for a couple days!

im interested to see how this turns out. wild hogs being a bit gamey im guessing all this curing will take out most of the undesirable flavors. when she is all finished give us a range report!...or would that be a dinner plate report :D

This is actually my 4th wild ham. They have turned out very well so far. They have the ham taste you know and love, but it is a deeper flavor. Any gaminess comes out in the process, and you're left with a deep flavor, similar to the flavor profile of dry-aged beef (except this is pork), when the cure and dry time is complete.

The ham comes out of the wet cure today for a couple days dry time in the fridge! Next pics will be some smoked ham goodness!! Stay tuned!!

Gamey ??

Mauser...

We have done half-a-dozen hogs in the last couple of years. Except for losing some meat from the wound area on a couple, we have enjoyed "store-quality" pork from all of them, large or small.

Our first attempts turned out a bit salty from overdoing the pink-salt treatment. However we adjusted that and increased the Brown-Sugar side of the rub, and things balanced out well.

Much of the 'gamey' label on wild pork comes from improper handling of the Hog when it is shot, field-cleaned, and then butchered. If done with care, even a large hog like this feral Sow (450 lbs hanging weight) was turned into great freezer and smoker Pork.

Here is my Grandson after shooting the Hog...then the guide doing the butchering an hour after the hog was shot.

12786.jpg

12824.jpg

Last edited:
TAA DAAA!!! Here it is all done and resting. I made a glaze for it. Good stuff, a tad bit of italian dressing and about 1/2 a cup of brown sugar.

I promised myself I'd not look at another of your posts about FOOD when I was hungry..........but in a weak moment I looked in, just had to see the finished product.

And now......I don't know whether I hate myself more for being weak and looking or you for being to far away so that I can come over and get a piece!!!

LOL! Sorry bout that! My door's always open for those to stop by and grab a bite to eat. My buddies close by know this, and when I fire up the BBQ pit, it's like a hummingbird feeder in the summertime. I'm happy to share what I have when I can. ;)

At Last !!!

txdragon
I've been looking forward to that last picture and have not been disappointed. Will certainly look you up, next time Go to visit my Brother, in Victoria. Thanks for this thread .... :)

Be Safe !!!

I saw a comment about wild boar being gamey, that hasn't been my experience at all. I have never gotten one myself, but it's a common meat in nice restaurants in brazil and was always amazing. Sweeter and softer than normal store bought. It is my favorite meat

Back