Wife's GP100 and python side by side (range day)

BobR

Took my 2 newest acquisitions to the range today. A new Gp100, full underlug, and adjustable sights, and a Python with an 8" barrel that was manufactured in the mid 70's and stored for a very long time, hardly a drag line on the cylinder.

Both guns are for my wife to have in the house, it is much easier to use a revolver under strss than it is a semi-auto. The 8" python was a little to much for her, so we went out and got the GP100. The only reason I bought the python was because it was a VERY GOOD deal.
The ruger, like most of them, was accurate, shooting to point of aim out of the box for her. We were shooting at 7 and 15 yds. She really liked it with .38 loads, and was not fazed at all by the full power magnum loads. Very nice action, both SA and DA. All in all she was very pleased with it.

Then came the python, what a work of art. Looks good, shoots better. She was able to punch the x at 7 and did not have any out of the 10 at15yds. She even commented on how well it felt to shoot. She was able to describe the smoothness of the action after only a few shots. Was asking why it felt so much better then the Ruger. I left that lecture for the ride home. Having her shoot the python was probably a good thing to do, now she wants one for her carry piece...so now we are hunting for a 4" Python.
I do admire her choice in guns, but she has always liked quality items and can tell a pile of poop from a mile away.
She said this was one of the best range days she has ever had.

We joined a new gun club today that has a great facility. Indoor pistol, outdoor 25 yd, 100yd, 200 yd and trap. It is a first class facility on the banks of a river with nothing but trees around the immediate area (it is part of a state park). If you live in the inland northwest and need a place to shoot, the spokane rifle club is something to look into.

Today was a nice anniversary day for us. BTW, the Gp100 was her anniversary present, she never has liked flowers!
bob

I just bought a like new python 4" blued... oh my gosh it's so good looking I hate to breath on it. The only flaw is a faint line around the circumfrence of the cylinder from cycling the action.

I only had a chance to put 12 rounds of .38 handloads through it today....what a sweeeeeet action. It's by far the best revolver action I've ever felt. This gun just screams quality from end to end....well except for the rather unipressive factory grips.

I bought it to resell but dang it's feels sooooo good. I'm going to have to go shoot it at least once more first.

Shiro :)

still droooling

Which would be the better choice (saw this at a recent gun show): new GP100 SS 4" or 6" for about $350 or python (3") blued and used for $475.

The Python, unless it has been beat to death. That isn't a bad price for the Ruger, but Pythons, especially that barrel length, are getting pretty minty.

Zane

Ok, ok the Python is a beautiful gun with a smooth action. If you want a revolver that is a beater and can withstand high pressure 357 mags without any problems then the GP100 is the gun. Probably the most durable 357/38 made. With time and a little help from Wolff Gunsprings the actions will smooth up quite a bit.

Go ahead and find her a used 4" Python. While a Python is not as rugged as the Ruger, she won't beat it and abuse it such that it will require servicing. Besides, for a gal who likes guns, isn't she worth it?

Both guns are for my wife to have in the house, it is much easier to use a revolver under strss than it is a semi-auto

I have to call BS on this statement. Its pure oppinion and its been proven that people shoot DA much worse under stress than SA or short trigger guns. This goes for revolvers that are primarly shot in DA and DAO autos like DAO sigs, Beretta,Rugers smiths ext.
It can easily be argued takes more skill to accurately fire a revolver under stress than an auto. It is also harder to reload a revolver understress. The only designs that I can think of being harder to use under stress would be autos like the 1911 that have a safety catch. You would have to remember to release the said catch under stress and that could go wrong. This goes for any auto with a safety. Those without like the glock sig ext are not harder to use under stress. With DA SA designs they must remember to decock after the shootings is over but this is not related to actually shooting the gun under stress. If you prefer revolvers by all means carry one but don't believe such myths as was posted ealier.
PAT

I have to call BS on this statement. Its pure oppinion and its been proven that people shoot DA much worse under stress than SA or short trigger guns.

Spit out a reference my man.

Let me see, a loaded revolver, pick it up, point at CM of target, pull trigger. She is very good at that.

Now let's do the same with the semi, pick it up, take off safety, if SA and cocked (or DA) aim at CM and pull trigger...aw s**t..she limp wristed it and it did not eject, can she remember the drill to clear it..hope so, or perhaps it stovepipes..can she remember what to do to clear it, she does at the range everytime...but that is not with someone coming through the bedroom door.

So, if you feel a semi is more user friendly, good on ya. I will opt for simplicity for her every time, after all, I know that when using a revolver she is one helluva shot. As far as reloading, in my house we use a NY reload, after the GP you pick up the python, and then the J frame, whatever is left will meet MR. WINCHESTER 1300 up close and personal...that is 17 pistol shots very close at hand..I think that will be sufficient. If I have an unloaded gun it is locked away, if it is out it is loaded..I don't have to worry about kids or dogs. And I don't think the cats will be able to pull the triggers.
So you go ahead and live in your nothing will ever go wrong with my SIG/Glock or other wonder gun world. Give me a good revolver for my wife any day.

Bob

I've got to agree with BobR. Shooting double action is not hard. It's like any gun you own, if your going to depend your life on it, you better know how to handle it by instinct. With a revolver, there's no limp wrist issue, no stove pipe issue, no misfire to clear (just pull the trigger again and go past it with a revolver), no safety release issue, no difference in trigger pull as in DA/SA designs. Because the first shot in a DA/SA is double action, does that mean everyone will miss with the first shot? I'll take the double action trigger pull of an out of the box Colt Python over any double action pistol out there. Some DA/SA pistol trigger pulls are as much as 14 lbs. As far as reloading time, they're called "speed loaders" instead of "clips". If you were thinking of remodeling anyway and emptied your weapon into the walls, it's a lot easier to bluff with a revolver and closed cylinder than an auto with the slide locked back.
It's much better to be able to control and have confidence in a defensive weapon than worry about bells, whistles, and failures. A home invader looking down the wrong end of any barrel is not going to be thinking "Hey, is that a dao pistol pointed at me? I'll bet she'll miss the first 4 shots. I might as well go for it". I think the home invader will more than likely soil your carpet and want to leave before that happens.

BobR

Grab a glock aim and pull a 5.5 pound trigger or grab a revolver aim and pull a 10 to 15 pound trigger. Tell me which is easier to hit with. Thier is a reason why accurate guns have lighter triggers in general. You will not see a DAO sniper rifle.
PAT

Back