Wife Wants This... I Want That... Help!! :)

Dogger

Here is the dilemma guys:

Background Info:

A couple years ago I bought a S&W M640 .357 magnum snubbie. My mother-in-law gave me some birthday $$ to purchase a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion IWB holster for it. A nice set up. My carry ammo was either White Box Winchester 110 grain .357 magnums or 158 grain +P .38 special hollowpoints. After awhile I sold it. I liked the gun a lot, but... I sold it.

A couple months ago I bought a blue Sig P232 .380 with aluminum frame. Nice light carry gun. I stoke it with 90 grain Federal Hydrashoks. Fits my hand great. Disappears into a front pocket with no tell-tale bulges.

Dilemma:

OK, so last night I ask my wife if she is going to purchase me a Milt Sparks holster for the Sig. She says "no". I ask "why not?" She says "because I think you are dumb having an auto for a carry gun. I mean, you are always talking about how sometimes autos can malfunction. Whatever happened to that "cute" snubbie you used to have, the one my Mom bought the holster for? I think you should get rid of that dumb Sig and get that "cute" revolver. I liked it a lot."

OK guys, there you have it. Do I sell the P232 and replace the M640? Or do I keep the P232?

PS: Years ago I promised my wife I would only keep 2 handguns in the house. My "keeper" is a Colt CCO -- ain't no way I am getting rid of it!! :) So keeping the Sig and buying the Snubbie ain't an option. GEEZ! The sacrifices we make for women! I should never have agreed to that two handgun rule. Thank God it doesn't apply to long arms...

Get the S&W for HER christmas present. I am sure you didn't make a promise about how many guns she could have????
If not I feel IMHO that what is comfortable for you is more important then if your wife thinks "its cute" Both are good firearms and I would think the Sig would be easier to carry. That old advice, Something along the lines of "A 22, 25, 32, 380, 9x18, 9x19 etc on your waist is worth more then a 45, 454, 44mag etc at home in the safe." :) :)

NO PROBLEM! That's EASY!

Buy your wife a really nice, sexy outfit for Christmas; buy yourself the holster you need, wrap it up, put a tag on it saying that it was TO: you and FROM:your mother-in-law. Then, everyone will be happy.

Merry Christmas to all!

also, good advice, Larry...

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

[This message has been edited by Dad2Jane (edited December 21, 1999).]

Hi,
I can't help much, but you have just helped me avoid your pitfall,

FYI, I will heed the unspoken advice you give here and NEVER agree to a gun limit. Who knows how many guns my 5 month old daughter will need???
I thought I had a bad deal, I have to provide twice the purchase price of a gun, 1/2 for the gun, 1/2 for HER hobbies. Whew, I know now how good I have it.
Hope you resolve it peacefully or have a comfy couch!
Merry Christmas,
Gfrey

I'd keep whatever you like and get your own damn holster. You pay some, you get some independence.

Or, you could be border-line rude, and tell your wife that you are only fickle about guns...good thing it isn't women :)

I'd pick option 3: discuss this with spouse and see if she'd waive the original limit you got set.

I have a pretty good arrangement with my wife (for the time being).

I work a second job part-time, and I get half of the income from that job for my own "purposes".

If that just won't work for you, then you have to have with you the gun that you are most comfortable and confident with. That's the bottom line. Hurt feelings will heal, but knowing that you are going to be able to hit your target in a tense situation is worth some hurt feelings, IMHO.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. Good luck pardner! Ah the checks we write with our mouths that our needs can't cash.

Reverse psychology is what I suggest...

Tell her that revolvers can jam just as well as autos can, but at least when a semi-auto jams, you can clear it yourself by manipulating the slide.

When a revolver jams, you have to take it to a gunsmith.

How can revolvers jam? (in case someone wonders)

Primers can "back out" of the cartridges primer pocket during recoil and seize up the gun, making the cylinder harder/unable to rotate, or open.

Once I had a Ruger SP101 that when fired the trigger would lock back and not release. The cylinder could not be opened.

Talk about a wake-up call. Revolvers can and will JAM.

[This message has been edited by dvc (edited December 26, 1999).]

Hey, at least she wants guns. I'm sure many would just wish for that alone.

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

Back