Widerness Belts, 1 more time...

Nakano

Greetings to all with experience with the Wilderness Instructors 5 stitch belts. Did you buy a size up from your normal waist size if using an IWB (mine are Sparks)for a full size gun? Is there enough length/ velcro adjustability for a tighter or looser fit? I plan to obtain one soon but need to know if its measurement methods differ from the common double thick leathers. Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

Give them actual belt size (as you would buy for just pants). Additionally, there's a fair amount of play in the velcro.

If you're a size 32", your in luck. I find the belt too thick for comfort and will part with mine cheap.
Rich

Uggghh. I wish I was ever a 32! Rich, have you ever experienced the same discomfort with that of any of your double thick leather belts? I' m trying to get a handle on their comparison. Is the Wilderness much thicker/ stiffer than say a Sparks lined to be of major difference in comfort level? I started a similar thread way back when and it seems much of the replys were of different opinions/ experiences. Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

I've not experienced the same problem with any double thickness belt, though they're all 1 1/2". I Currently wear a Wilderness in 1 1/2". They will make these by request (though they're not on the web site).
Rich

1.5? Interesting. Please check your mail Rich. Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------

My first Wilderness was actually too small for my needs (also IWB). I gave them my waist size. But I have what I can only assume as somewhat unconventional carry style and need, and had to return it. It was just as well because I felt the 5-stitch gave too much, but that's just me. I sent it back and about 3 months later, got a Combat Shooter with the right size. To this day, I couldn't be happier with my Wilderness belt.

Can someone please post the Wilderness website? I have a giles sling from them, and I'm interested in their belts.

bkm

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

SB, are you saying that the 5 stitch was not supportive enough when you indicated that it "gave" too much. Did you get a feeling that your carry piece in your IWB felt as if it was sagging down and that perhaps you were always needing to move it back up? And in your experience is your current Combat Shooter as stiff or more stiff than any of your double thick leathers such as Milt Sparks? Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------

Check out the BlackHawk line of belts, for the money these are the best thing going. I have 2 of the CQB/Rigger/Rescue belts, one the regular size (up to 41) This is my work belt and it's just a tad to short with holster/ammo and cuff case on, however it's great under BDU's as a pants belt/emergency repelling ect... And the other is their Large CQB belt. I need to cut down the large as it's really really long and the bitter end wraps around past the Blade Tech holster and is just anoying. But as they only come is a couple of sizes it's not hard to trim the long one to fit what you need.

Send Geared Up a e-mail as they have good prices for these belts.

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited September 07, 1999).]

Nakano, I have a 3 stich Wilderness belt. I have been wearing this belt for three years and have carried IWB (with a G19, P220, P226, P228, P229 and a 4" Colt Python) without any problems. I thought about getting a 5 stich belt, however the 3 stich has done everything asked of it without failure. I'll buy another one when (or if) this one wears out.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Nakano:

The 5-stitch gave more than what I was personally used to with leather. But that's JUST ME. It's because I don't wear my IWBs in the sides as most people do. If you plan to carry in the strong side, I think the 5-stich will work just fine.

Hope that helps. :)

$.02

[This message has been edited by SB (edited September 09, 1999).]

I own a wilderness 5 stitch instructers belt and really like it. When I ordered mine, I was told to get the size that is 2" larger than your waist size. My waist size is a 32" so I ordered the 34" and it works good. It probably would work better if I would thread it through the belt loops instead of just putting it on over my pants.

Thanks all for the feedback. I recently visited a local shop and handled a Galco Instructors belt. Man was this ever a thick and stiff belt! Too thick and stiff perhaps. Can anyone make a comparison with this and Wilderness' reinforced model? Thanks again.

L8r,
Nakano

Good Evening All-

The products from The Wilderness are outstanding, but they are a NIGHTMARE of a company with which to conduct business!

Thank goodness that their belts have a superior level of quality, or these guys would be pushed right out of the marketplace.

Shipments take a long time to leave their premises and charges are very expensive. If you wish to exchange garments, belts, slings, holsters, etc., etc., they will only give you a "store credit." This is not palatable when you're trying to decide between different-sized "Safepackers," for example.

If you want to exchange one Safepacker for another, you have to get a return authorization number, and send back the holster. When they receive the holster back, they will then ship you another one after giving you a refund LESS shipping. This policy would only make sense with a dishonest or fickle pool of customers. It also causes simple exchanges to take WEEKSinstead of days.....

They are unable just to ship you a new item immediately, charge you product cost + shipping, and then make the appropriate credits when the returned items arrive at their shipping dock.

Enjoy their EXCELLENT products, just be patient and be prepared for some silly company policies.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Well, this timing is perfect! I received my Wilderness belt from Dillon Press just a few days ago. I ordered the 5 stitch in 1.5" black. Yes, 1.5"s are now available but apparently not at all dealers shelves yet. Try Dillon if you are searching for one.

I am quite thrilled about the belts materials, construction, and its adjustability. I ordered my regular pant size and it works perfect with any of my Sparks IWBs, including S&W K frame. In the "off season" I can come close to the next larger belt size but there is sufficent room for the proper adjustments.

I' ve worn it everyday for almost a week now and I find it just as comfortable as any of my Sparks lined models. The velcro adjustability is better relief than Tums after lunching! :)

I am currently waiting for the olive and tan models to become available. For harsh environments, synthetic materials such as the Wilderness belts would be the way to go. These belts are well worth the $35 retail price. 2 thumbs up!

Thanks all for your feedback and comments.

L8r,
Nakano

I just got a 1.5 inch 5 stich directly from The Wilderness. I had them line the inside of the belt with velcro to be compatable with my Ted Blocker LFI holster. This cost $10 extra. Order was delivered in 7 days. I also orderd a safepacker. I'm satisfied. Its a good stiff belt, easily adjustable for just the right tension holster or no.

Good Evening All-

Still waiting for a 1.5" Instructor's Belt after ordering in the early part of April! The initial order took nearly two weeks to get here, after paying nearly $8.00 for shipping.

Because the belt suggested to me was too large, I returned it with a request to send a belt the next size smaller. Amazingly, my return shipment to them only cost $3.20 and was insured and had proof-of-delivery. It arrived at their location in only 48 hours.

Here's the point: If you can find their stuff through alternate sources (i.e. Dillion Press), you're better-off doing that to limit your levels of frustration.

In light of the horrible customer service and satisfaction I've received, it's questionable if I could suggest this company to my shooting friends and acquaintances.

Several telephone calls to the co-owners of the company have gone unanswered just asking the status of my order.

If one wishes to conduct business via the Internet, the ONLY differentiator you can provide to retain clients is excellent service and satisfaction, which The Wilderness appears to be unable to provide.

Very sad. I expected more from this company so proudly aligned with RKBA patriots...

~ Blue Jays ~

Blue Jays, I understand the fustrations of business. It is true because the Wilderness is a manufacturer, one is much beter off dealing with their distributors/ dealers when needing to make an order. Such as the afore mentioned Dillon Blue Press. Manufacturers are often not set up to handle retail sales to a great degree. And in fact encourage sales thru their network of dealers rather than direct. If you ordered the 5 stitch model, when it arrives you will be quite happy I' m sure.

L8r,
Nakano

Back