Why would anyone buy a .38 revolver?

bullbarrel

I don't have a revolver, but I think if one can shoot .38 cartridges out of a .357 magnum, why would anyone buy a .38 caliber gun, when the .356 offers greater versatility?

Also, this may seem like a dumb question, but is any harm done to a .357 revolver if one shoots .38 cal most of the time? I mean the two cartridge dimesnions are not exactly the same, so will this wear out any part of the gun faster (for example) because of the caliber not originally intended for it?

In a snubby revolver, the recoil of the .357 magnum can be snappy. This is especially true of the lightweight alloy framed models (aluminum, titanium, and scandium).

There are also some great deals to be had in older medium and large framed .38 special revolvers. Often they have only cosmetic damage. If I had to buy a home defense handgun on a budget, I'd give this serious consideration.

Some believe that accuracy and therefore control is more important than sheer power.

Because the .38 special will go a longer distance through the chamber before getting to the forcing cone (compared to the .357 magnum), a .38 special can be less accurate fired from a .357 magnum revolver.

Because a .38 is smaller, or at least can be. Some of the new advances in firearms such as titanium and scandium revolvers make it possible to put a .357 in a smaller package, but I for one would not want to shoot a .357 in them due to recoil. I think mostly it's part tradition and part need. A small .38 is effective enough. In a short barrel .357 you lose so much velocity that you're not gaining much in ballistics compared to the huge jump in recoil.

You won't damage a .357 by firing .38's in it, but after a while you will have to do some serious cleaning in order to get the .357's to fit due to carbon build up.

bullbarrel, you won't harm a .357 by shooting .38 Special ammo in it. What will happen is that if you do it a LOT there will be a crud, lead grease buildup that will take a lot of effort to clean and if left undone will preclude the use of the .357 cartridge. As to why a .38 Special when .357 guns are available, why not? All kidding aside their are superb guns out there that are just .38s . A guy might find a prime Model 15 or 14 at a real good price and as they are both .38s that is what you are stuck with. Also for self defense a good .38 revolver with the right ammo is sufficient for most of us. Even me and if it's good enough for Walter Mitty it's good for anyone.

The M-38 Airweight Bodyguard I just bought is only 14.5 ounces and the price was right. I already have 4 other automatics.

.38 special and 9X19 bout the same age. One is an excellent cartridge for autoloaders and the other is an excellant revolver cartridge. Similar power from either. .38 special has an edge in the accuracy department as most guns chambered for it are not load sensitive, hence bullet shape and charge may be tailored for the purpose at hand.

Sam

The 38 spec. when loaded with the right bullet in a match gun with tight chambers has some wonderful accuracy. strech the chambers out a bit to .357 mag length there is a difference, I would never see it but match shooters would.

Because my wife won't try...

...the Python.

I wanted to have two revolvers that could use the same ammo. I have a Colt Python and I bought a Colt Detective Special for my wife.

She loves it.

bullbarrel,

Why?!? Because some of the finest target revolvers ever built were in .38 special. Think K-38 or Model 15.

Joe

and thank you.......

....perfesser
For regognizing the facts even if you don't understand the reasons.
The second most accurate revolver is the 38 special and at near the intended bullet weight -which was 158 grns and velocity of 850 fps at the muzzle.
The first place goes to the .22 rimfire Long Rifle.
Why would anyone want a '38 special'?One reason is the second premise of becoming a master with the most accurate handgun design--the revolver
The first premise should be reliability.
The md 10 is the basis for Revolver Masters accuracy competition.
The Smith and Wesson K frame-with 38 special cylinder -Douglas Barrel and full length Bomar rib sights are the standard of revovler accuracy.
98% of all World Pistol Champs use the Smith and Wesson-md 10 as the base frame and cylinder.
Why would any handgunner proceed to a more powerful caliber-such as 357 magnum before they have mastered the 38 special at practical distances, shooting positions and so on?
I have never had a lead build up in a revolver cylinder.
I take my gun all the way down-sideplate off and all internals removed and cleaned, cylinder scrubbed as well---after every shooting session.
Why would any one allow lead deposits to accumulate on any part of the gun?
Don Mallard

I have always been a fan of the .38 Special. My latest is a S&W 36-6 (3" full lug barrel with adjustable sights) made in 1989. Very comfortable to shoot with 158 grain LWSCHP +P's and very accurate. The .357 certainly has its' place, but I'll take the .38 Special for an accurate fun to shoot cartridge.

Several years ago, I bought my dad a S&W Mdl. 67 to supplant the 9mm Radom he brought back from Germany. The Polish pistol would not feed JHPs, and I wanted him to have a home defense weapon that would be ready for instant use without manipulating a slide or safety.

I chose a .38 Spl. rather than a .357 because Magnum recoil would be excessive for my elderly parents. The 67 is +P rated.

That revolver is now my mom's gun; I believe it's currently loaded with Remington Golden Saber 125gr. +Ps.

You buy a .38 Special because it is there. By all means buy a .357, buy several. But don't discriminate against the .38 Special, get a couple of them too.

Speaking of buying a .38.............
I am looking for a Model 14, THTT, 8 3/8" barrel. I would really like to have one that is single action but that isn't madatory.

Also .357 mag out of a snubby is LOUD!:eek:

SO IF YOU FIRE A...
WHAT...
WHAT...
WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M YELLING...oh sorry.

so if you fire a .357 magnum indoors without hearing protection you will definitely remember it.

I have been "married" to Smith & Wesson's little model
60, in .38 Special for a long time.:D Having owned a
total of (3), I feel real comfortable with this J-frame
at "combat distance"; from 0 to 7 yards.:cool:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Because if you're ever in a situation where your total budget for a defensive handgun is in the $200 range, there's a total of two sane choices:

.38spl of some sort, or a Makarov.

The Mak has that nasty trigger of DA/SA design that in my opinion has NO PLACE in a beginner's hands.

So that leaves a .38.

In many cases, if you're buying a used .38 in a gun frame that's know to also ship in .357 flavor, you can be assured that the .38 gun has had a diet of much lower-pressure ammo through it. And .38s, esp. ones that people view as "oversize" for the caliber (read: not a snubbie) often go for dirt cheap.

Example: the old Colt Officer's Match .38 revolver was basically a direct ancestor of the later Python, and in many ways is just as good a gun - but can be had for half the money you'd spend on a Python .357 in equivelent shape. Both take the same aftermarket grips, same speedloaders...but the OM weighs less because of it's thinner tapered barrel.

Manufacturers like Ruger still sell .38Spl versions of their .357 guns because some PDs won't buy "magnums". In many such examples, any gunsmith can "convert" them to .357 by just boring the cylinder bores deeper.

My brother put his 30 years in on the job. Still carries his Model 10.

My cousin put 20 years in with NYPD. Still carries his Model 10 as a LT with a small PD in the Carolinas.

Knew a PAPD officer who put 6 into a BG across 10th Ave in NYC. 25 yd. Perfect for a Bullseye shooter like him. Could cover the group with your palm. Probably couldn't do that with a .357.

Works for them.

It is interesting to note that the FBI -- back in the '30s through '60s when marksmanship was still a principal virtue -- ISSUED .38 Special "N" frame Smiths and 158 grain lead rounds. This remains a very potent combination, when fired with reasonable accuracy. Lots of handguns and calibers offer greater statistical efficacy, but history documents the effectiveness of .38 Special revolvers. I prefer the .357 magnum, but ACCURACY is the essential variable. Put a .38 Special load on target (e. g., central nervous system) and you will immediately stop a felon.

Lets put it this way.......

Because they can? Why buy a Ford when you can buy a Chevy? Why buy a revolver when you can buy a semi-automatic? Personal choice my friend and most importantly, we still have the FREEDOM to buy a firearm.;)

Back