Why would a Makarov throw gunk in my face?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I just had a Makarov channel something that felt like half-burned powder and oil into my face after I fired. The problem is worse with Corbons and less with S&B but still present.

Could it be premature slide unlocking due to a weak spring? Too much oil inside? The particles came through the firing pin channel and between the slide and the frame. I used the gun a couple of months ago without any trouble.

I also noticed the mouth of the top round in the magazine seemed smashed against the front of the magazine. The only difference from the last trip is that I replaced Pearce grips with the standard plastic grips.

Any guesses? My gunsmith won't guess, he says nothing comes to mind as a culprit.

Blown primers, perhaps.

I had the same problem while firing Hornandy JHP through my E.German Mak. After inspecting the chambered round, I noticed the bullet had been pushed back into the case, presumably by the feed ramp (or lack thereof).

I then changed to Fiocchi FMJ and have had no problems (inexpensive enough to fire a few hundred for full confidence in function).

Was thinking of a reply to the topic line, something along the lines of "Because you insulted it, Oleg!" ;)

I'm leaning towards the combination of a blowback gun with mayber a bit too much oil in the slide/frame interface, and the chamber pressure, after blowing the slide back and sending the brass on it's way, decides to blow the gook out towards the rear of the gun.

Darnit! Now I'll have to get my East German Mak out of the safe and take it to the range tomorrow, and see if I can duplicate your experience. I don't have any Hornady or Cor-Bon, though, just my handloads in Starline brass.

Where are you buying Fiocchi FMJ 9x18?

It is my favorite ammo but I can't find any for sale.

Re: Corbon (and similar-looking Hornady) -- most of the bullets deformed very considerably on recoil. I am discontinuing my use of it in favor of Blazer JHP and various ball ammo. Maybe the Russkies knew something when they issued ball.

Primers were not blown but I might just get a new recoil spring +2lb from the current weight. Wonder if inserting the spring the worng way would have done it...

FWIW, I asked the same question at Makarov.com forum and got slightly different answers: http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=mak12&id=9618.1162486965811 I am even more impressed with TFL by contrast.

Well Oleg, you sure seemed to get BB in a snit, though I couldn't see for the life of me what you said wrong. :) I've never had my Mak do what you describe, I'd go with the guess about lube in the wrong place, hard to say.

My guess would be that you've got a wet firing pin. Try removing the firing pin and cleaning that area out. A weak return spring might be the culprit for your magazine problems, but I can't devine any reason why you'd get anything back in your face. Since you stated that oil as well as black stuff was coming back into your face, I suspect too much oil.

Those who thought it was poor cleaning were right.

I took out the safety and the firing pin and used pipe cleaners with Hoppes 9 in the pin channel. Much better now: was combination of gunk, oil and fish guts (or so it looked). Moral: take care of your can and it won't spit in your eye :)

Back