Why the bum rap?

Tim Whittaker

I just got back from the range and I shot my friends Win. 1300 Defender. I have an 870 that I have left fairly stock and I've got to say , that 1300 was a sweet shooter. I'll never get rid of my 870 but the question remains. Why doesn't the 1300 have a better name for itself? He's had it about 3 years and it's his only gun and he shoots the hell out of it. I might just go pick one up and put a top folding stock on it and put it on boat duty. Take care.....Whit

Be that as it may,Whit, the 870 not only has an unmatched rep for reliability and durability, it's not even approached. The only other shotguns with more longevity out there that come close are the Winchester Models 12 and 97,and the Ithaca. By no strange coincidence, all were JM Browning designs.

And I'm not dumping on the 1300. I've heard no reputable bad things about them,and one student I had sure liked his, once we got rid of that silly PG, no stock.

If it works for you,or your buddy, so be it. If all I had was a 1300, I'd consider myself armed.

The biggest reason for even thinking of getting a 1300 is the price, I can pick one up at Wal-Mart for $200 and not have to cart my 870 around with me when I go from boat to truck (both secured areas BTW) My 870 is my pride and joy and for a gun which may only be used a dozen times a year the 1300 should fit the bill. The 870 will always be the go-to gun should there be a bump in the night. I just don't want to say "Oh S***" the 12 is in the boat. I had wanted an Ithaca 37 Police but can't find one for a reasonable price....Whit

The 1300 is a solid design. It's a rotary bolt locking in a barrel extension which makes it longer than traditional 'rise to lock' designs such as the more recent Browning designs. It also allows for an Aluminum receiver which lightens the gun and, IMO, makes it handle better. Ironicaly, it allows an 18" barrel with an 8 shot capacity giving the longer overall design. I don't like the trigger mechanism myself, but that is the only real fault I can find.

The price is great too. For overall value in a NEW gun, I'd jump on a Winchester.

The newer Winchesters never had the acceptance of the old Model 12 and are often and incorrectly not given their due. The 1300 IMHO has corrected some of the problems with the 1200 series. I like my 870 but wouldn't feel under gunned in the slightest with a Winchester 1300.

Back