• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Why search down?

RugerSAfan

Wasn't the database re-indexed 1-2 months ago? Is this routine maintenance?

Has there been consideration of performing routine maintenance during the times of least activity? It would seem that the greatest activity would be over the week-end. Additionally, is there a possibility of posting an advance notice of when the search function will be unavailable and the expected duration?

I know you folks are busting your tail, and appreciate your great resource, just asking

Mods, Administrators, if I may.....

TFL is non-funded, ie. no one gets paid for working on this site. I imagine they can only do certain in-depth procedures when they have time off their regular work schedules.

Advance notice & expected duration posting - good idea. It only takes a couple seconds to post that info in this forum section.

And this thread is closed.

hmph...

I said, And this thread is closed!....

hrrrrrrmmmmm...

CLOSE! CLOSE, damn you!

:confused:

Oh ya. I ain't no mod. Just an ignorant flash of authoritism I guess....:D ;)

Why Search down?

Reasonable question:
Yup we reindexed a couple of months back. We regularly perform maintenance without your notice....because we do it while you sleep. This was different...we were having severe server problems at the worst time....preparing for SHOT where we have a major investment in a booth, staff travel and lodging, print materials, give-aways, promotions, entertainment, etc.

We began the reindex at 3AM on Thursday morning (weekends, by the way, are our slowest times, other than dead of night.....but I had an 8AM flight on Friday). By the time I left, the reindex was not done. It's been non-stop since my arrival and this is my first chance on line. The search is now reinstated but I have no time to monitor the server as to the results.

Will be back on Wednesday. By then an additionall 500MB ram chip will be in hand and, hopefullly, the upgrade will go smoothly. I'm not promising, but will do my best.

As for notifying y'all of scheduled maintenance; of late, I can't schedule a date with as lady 2 hours in advance and make it on time. There's simply no way i can block out, in advance, time for server maintenance. Like verything else, it occurs on an "as required, as capable" basis.
Rich

Back