Why no mid-size big bore Glocks?

Blue Duck357

OK, I know the 40SW (ala model 23) is technically a bigbore, but why doesn't glock produce a midsize model in 45 and 10mm? If I'm right they make the full size and the baby, but not the mid-size model in these calibers. Anyone know why?

The 23 seems to be the hotest model going right now, I'd think a 45 would do pretty well, and while the 10mm will never be all that popular I'd think there would be enough interest in it to keep it in the black (I'd like one at least)

Thanks for any input, Blue Duck

Do you mean one the same size as the 23? If so then that would be the 30 and 36 for .45 and the 29 in 10mm. They are almost identical in size to the 23/19. Or do you mean one in between the 21 and 30 size Glocks?

One between the sizes, I know their is only a .2 inch barrel differnce, between the 30 and 23 but I want room for three fingers on the grip (maybe a 4" barrel). I'm just not into the two finger grip thing, and don't like the idea of a mag extension where the grip should be in the first place.

Blue Duck

I completely agree with Blueduck357. The two finger grip on the Glock 30 is very disapointing. I would love for Glock to correct that with a new model. Will that happen? I doubt it, but I can always keep my fingers crossed.

It might just be the fact that since they are selling guns as fast as they can make them now, they see no reason to introduce a new model that will likely just compete with their own product (model 23). Maybe when sales slow a little we'll see it.

regards, Blue Duck

I get ya BlueDuck, thats what I thought you meant. You guys ever think, that if it wasn't for the American market, all the models that wouldn't exist? Would any of the .45, 10mm, 357Auto, and maybe even the .40s ever been made? I can see the 17, 17L, 18, and most likely the 19. Would the 26 have been developed, or is concealed carry not as prolific overseas? Just wonderin'? Don't get me wrong, I like the selection, just always think about these what ifs.

Glockjeeper, Yeah think of it I too doubt any of the .45,40,10mm, or 357 Sig Glocks would have been made except for America, and all the entire european empire could offer us is the .380 Glock:rolleyes: Well they did make the pistol though ;)

Regards, Blue Duck

And here I wanted to propose a Practical/Tactical version of the Glock 34/35 for the .45 ACP. Really, it seems like it would be a great range gun.

And whether or not the .40 S&W is big bore depends on who you talk to. To me no, it starts at .44 for revolvers.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I also thought that the G30 was a mid-size big bore Glock. I prefer the 9rd mags because of the shortened grip. It makes for better concealment, and it does not effect the accuracy in the least. Now, a G26 size Glock in .45ACP, that would be a winner, in my book!!!!:D

exactly what we need. I think the 36 is ill designed. I mean it still has that clunky magazine floorplate, which looks cheesy. They should have just made it the size of a 19, except thinner, maybe a little shorter. Oh well, I would also love to see a single stack 26/27.

the g30 is midsize to me
actually it is more like a compact
cause the compacts are just too small for my hands
i tried a 27 the other day just to get a feel of it
and could barely squeeze one and a half fingers onto grip
not very safe or controllable imho
i'll just stick with my mid size g21
and stay with my compact (regular size) cz 75
my full size is a redhawk 44 mag

We have all these companies that do Grip reductions and Grip redesigns such as placing finger grooves, why doesn't someone come up with a method of adding grip length?

That would be easier than convincing Glock to come out with a new frame. 1/2 inch more grip length plus a flush fitting magazine would make my G36 perfect! I am looking at my Mag on my G36 now and can see where at least 1/4 in. can be removed from the mag base and still have enough there to be structurally sound.

Good shooting
RED

I like my 21 and own a 36 that is fun to carry when nothing else fits. The 30 is just a tad bigger. I find the 19 as small as I ever want to go. I can barely get 2 fingers on my 36 or 19. I consider my 21 to be midsize and my HK usp 45 fullsize as is my 1911 springfield longslide. I don't need a gun that small.

Glock doesn't make mid-size. They make standard, compact, sub-compact, and long slide.
The diference between the 30 and the 21 is .82". I don't think Glock is going to make a gun for every 1/4" of length.
The Glock 30 with a 10rd mag is the same size as the 23. The only difference is the 30 is a bit wider.
I have shot mine with both the 9rd and 10rd mags with the same accuracy so to me this is a bonus. Not only do you get a gun that many say shoots better then the 21 but you can also pick whether you want a reduced grip or three finger grip.
I think Glock is learning that the 36 may have been a mistake. Most people agree that when you put the 30 and 36 side by side, the difference in size is not enough to justify giving up 8rds of ammo when carrying a spare mag. Because of the increased recoil the 36 has proven to be less accurate. Sales of the 36 are much lower then the 30.

I don't think Glock made a mistake with the G36. It is here to stay. Even now more and more companies are coming out with aftermarket parts and grip extensions to accomodate the G36. The G36 fills a specific need, one for concealed carry and carries one of the most potent rounds available. A side by side comparison has little meaning in terms of fit and comfort. The majority of the people have never carried the 36 and did a gunshop case comparison.
Anyone who has ever carried a 36 and a 30 for any length of time can tell you there is a big difference.Do you give up 4 rounds? Yes, but you also give up the weight of those 4 rounds, the larger grip circumference of the 30, and and the extra weight of the G30. The weight difference is 6.87 ounces with one mag and 9.86 ounces with 2 mags.
People have been carrying 6+1 .45 autos for a long time and have felt adequately armed. You don't need 10 rounds to do the job.
As for accuracy, recoil is subjective to the individual user, therefore recoil is not a measure of inherent accuracy. The length between sights is actually greater for the G36, with the barrel length and slide lenght of both models being identical, theoretically the G36 should be more accurate. My experience has them both about on par.

Anyway..back to the subject.

When going to the Big Bore, .45, Glock went from full size to sub compact in one large step. I am referring to grip size.

With the .40 Glock went from-
Glock 22 5.43in.
Glock 23 5.00in.
Glock 27 4.17in.

With the .45 Glock went from
Glock 21 5.47in.
Glock 30/36 4.76in.

The numbers for the G30/36 are misleading because the Height includes magazine. The factory magazine extension is approximately 1/2 in. An even shorter height will be shown with the 9 round G30 mags.

So you see, Glock really doesn't have a mid size .45.

I believe that Glock will eventually come out with the single stack full size .45 to compliment the G36.

Good Shooting
RED

Maybe grip extensions are something I'll have to get used too (along with plastic pistols) but I'd still rather have a three finger grip from the factory, attached to the pistol, not the magazine. Logical, maybe not, but then again I've got the checkbook and would like Glock to make it. Hopefully there are enough like me to make it profitable for them.

Regards, Blue Duck

Where have you been?

The Glock 30 is a mid-sized yet very concealable 45 ACP as well as the Glock 29 in 10mm.

There are also some 357 Sig models as well.

Back