Why no Glock 22 stripped slides?

MagnumWill

I've lately been in the process of getting LEO trade-in Glock 22s, and I have a stripped receiver that I'd love to also build into a .40S&W Glock 22. The reason being, I'm going to get a 9MM conversion barrel so that I can choose between those calibers depending on what I want to do with the gun at the time.

However, all I can find is a litany of 9mm slides, and that's it. Attempting to buy a Glock 22 slide is ridiculous, as you can buy a complete Glock 22 for the same, if not less, price.

So why is it that all the manufacturers have decided to promote 9mm-only slides, rather than making 22 slides that have the option of going 9MM? You can also go .357 SIG with the 22 slide.

Is there something I'm missing?

A WHAG says Glock doesn't want 'em sold separately. Their patents are probably still valid too. So the aftermarket types can't make 'em cheaply.

It has to do with the 80% Glock compatible lowers out there. You got people who want to build their ghost gun who are in need of Gen 3 slides. Gen 3 Glock slides for 19/23 & 17/22 are stupid expensive. Like you had found, a Glock 17/22 Slide is as expensive than the entire used gun.

I have confirmed my theory... Take a look at Gen 4 slides. They cost about 1/3 less than Gen 3. Why? Because Gen 4 slides don't fit on a Gen 3 frame with out modifications to the internal portion of the dust cover forward of the front rail and locking block. You also need the Gen 3 guide rod adapter for the Gen 4 slide.

Most people don't know that a Gen 4 slide can fit onto a Gen 3 frame and function (with mods). :)

MagnumWill …..So why is it that all the manufacturers have decided to promote 9mm-only slides, rather than making 22 slides that have the option of going 9MM? You can also go .357 SIG with the 22 slide.

Is there something I'm missing?
.40 Glocks have nosedived in popularity over the last few years, mostly because of the FBI. When the FBI announced in 2015 that they wanted a new Glock in 9x19, PD's across the country followed the FBI and began dumping the G22/23/27

Sales of .357sig Glocks are pretty small, I think only the .45gap has worse sales.

Gun manufacturers don't want to sell you barreled slides, they want to sell you the complete gun.

Aftermarket manufacturers know that the .40/.367 aren't going to bring anywhere near the sales of 9x19 and make their slides accordingly.

It just doesn't make sense to cater to a specific build (17/19) when 22/23 can be converted to 9mm/357SIG, etc., when there is literally no downside. It's not like it's larger, heavier, etc.

Many people don't care about the 40SW.

...exactly true - and that's what started me on this endeavor with Glocks, and finding that near-new LEO trade-in Gen 3 22's can be easily had for under 300 dollars. I've gotten 3 at $236, $287 and $305.

And it turns out, I love .40S&W. So it's just weird that I can get a trade-in 22 and a 9mm conversion barrel for the same price as a 17.

This is the one I got for 287. It had a CT lasergrip that I couldn't use with the ENDO adaptor, so I sold it to a buddy that wanted it. As you can see, it doesn't look like a used gun by any means. I'll happily pay $150 less, and grab a different barrel in the meantime.

picture.php

If people say .40 is tougher to shoot... well, a little creativity can take care of that :) a sneak-peek at the "poor-man's PDW" project...

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but many people are just going to want the 9mm part of that equation, so the ability to use 40SW doesn't appeal to them. Works out well for you though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I love to pull it apart constantly and mess with things, and I understand most people will want it to do one thing (9MM) and leave it alone.

Again, just weird that 3rd party industry has designated it so. If that's the way it is, well, looks like they'll have to pull my leg and buy ANOTHER complete .40 :D

Back