why no chokes for 18.5" shotguns...

Papa D

Just curious.

Part 2 to this; is it possible to install a choke to cylinder bore only barrel? I imagine it is pretty much just a matter of machining, but could be wrong.

Usually used only with slugs. If there's enough barrel, putting a Remchoke or whatever on isn't a big deal. Is a lathe threading job though.

Cool. Thanks. I like the options of shooting whatever round from any barrel I decide to run, so yeah, gonna have to check it out. Thank you.

As he said its generally for slugs, or buck shot, where a cylinder bore is common, or improved modified. You'd have to ask the gun smith about your particular barrel. I have an old Sears 20ga semi that was my fathers, and it has a 30'' barrel. I wanted to have our smith cut it down to 26'' and thread it for chokes but he said there is not enough material in the barrel to thread it.

Any gun smith can install threaded interchangeable choke tubes (notice I said gunsmith, not Glock parts changer ;))

where a cylinder bore is common, or improved modified

I think you mean Improved Cylinder as IM is one step short of Full and slugs tend to work better with more open choke constrictions

I wanted to have our smith cut it down to 26'' and thread it for chokes but he said there is not enough material in the barrel to thread it.

Check with Briley in Houston. They developed the thin wall chokes for barrels like that

According to the gun, the choke could be rolled into it also. They used to do that before they had the threaded chokes. That or install a Lyman or Poly-Choke. I don't believe they make the rolls anymore, but an older Gunsmith may be able to do it. Also, by cutting off a barrel, the barrel is generally thicker at the 18-1/2" point, so threading one should be no problem.

Back