why isnt there a 150-155 grain .45 acp load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2002gti

seems to make a whole lotta sense to me. when .40 came out they had the 180 grain then dropped to 155 then 135's and those two rounds are superior to the 180 grainers. seems like a 155 grain .45 acp loading would be pretty good on the street.

152 gr SW is a typical bullseye target round. Available either as lead or copper plated if you want to drive them harder.

seems like a 155 grain .45 acp loading would be pretty good on the street.
Sectional density (SD) of a .45 ACP 155gr bullet would be .109, which is identical to a .380 ACP/9mm 95gr bullet. For comparison purposes, .22LR 40gr has an SD of .114 and .25 ACP 50gr has an SD of .112.

SD is an important factor in bullet penetration. Heavier bullets in the same caliber have greater SD (greater mass distributed over the same area). SDs of popular bullet weights:

9mm 115gr SD = .130
.40 S&W 155 gr SD = .138
.45 ACP 185gr SD = .130

9mm 124gr SD = .141
.40 S&W 165gr SD = .148
.45 ACP 200gr SD = .140

9mm 147gr SD = .167
.40 S&W 180gr SD = .161
.45 ACP 230gr SD = .162

when .40 came out they had the 180 grain then dropped to 155 then 135's and those two rounds are superior to the 180 grainers.
I'm unaware of any verified and valid data that supports such a conclusion.

seems like a 155 grain .45 acp loading would be pretty good on the street.

A .45 is significantly larger in diameter than a .40 and a bullet of equal weight would certainly be much shorter. I'm wondering whether there would be any instability induced as a short bullet began leaving the case on its short trip into the rifling. Also I would have some stability and aerodynamic concerns about such a short and wide bullet. Certainly, the drag of such a beast would limit it's point blank range.

Also, the quoted 135 grain .40 is 75 percent of the standard heavyweight 180 grainer. 75% of the .45's standard heavyweight is 172.5 grains. The readily available 185 grain .45 is about 80% of the weight of the 230 grain .45 and that seems close enough.

If we make a similar comparison with the 155 grain .40 bullet, we find it is relatively the same in weight ratio to a 200 grain .45.

In short, I think your ideal 155 grain .45 has already been made but we call it a 185.

It likely depends on the individual weapon, but i used to buy 155 grain LSWC's and reload them. Fun stuff-with 5 grains of 231, it was like a squirt gun and it helps to learn the trigger while having just enough to cycle the slide with no recoil to speak of.

Just for fun, I loaded some to boy-howdy max., and that was quite a display of muzzle flash. Tried them both at 3 to 25 yards with no key holing, but never shot a live creature with that bullet, so I can't say what penetration would be like. SD is absolute, assuming equal velocities and bullet styles, so I don't think they would go very far into the game.

I shot some over a chrono and got 1300+fps out of a government model.

"why isnt there a 150-155 grain .45 acp load?"

Ah, but there is! I was reading an article in the little publication Oregon Trails (Laser-Cast) puts out about a nifty little .45 ACP round using their 155 gr. bullet. They claimed very good accuracy. So of course I had to try some and immediately ordered a box. Seeing the bullet and the obviously low BC and SD, made me doubt their claim at first, but they were right. It is very accurate and makes the most perfectly round holes in target paper you've ever seen. I did have to play around with the OAL to get them to work well in my pistols without jamming due to the very flat shoulder on the bullet.

As brickeyee said, loads using light weight bullets like the 155 are almost always used for targets only. I can't see much use for them in any other application when better bullets are available.

Here's what the 155 bullet and a round using it look like (please pardon the hasty and poorly lit photo):
attachment.php

Attachments

• 45ACP_155.jpg
    45ACP_155.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,077
In addition to the above comments, it should be noted that the seating depth of the bullet would have to be very shallow to get the correct length for feeding. Not much brass to hold the bullet securely, and it could easily get pushed back into the case while feeding.

Remember that the light 165 gr. .45 auto is proportionally equivilent to the 135 .40 cal, or the 90gr. 9mm. Roughly speaking, of course. Just as the 180 .40 is proportionate to the 230 .45 auto, along with the 147 9mm. The 200 gr SWC works splendidly in the .45 auto. :D

Of course, bullets made of lighter material, that are as long as standard lead bullets, would be fine. Such as frangible ammo.

Last edited:
There is a 150 load that is stable and shoots VERY well....it just isn't made of lead.

I've shot at least 5000 Sinterfire sintered copper frangible rounds in competition and they run very well as long as you don't overcrimp.

Since they aren't as heavy as lead they are as long as the 200gr offerings.

I could make major power factor with them with a fast powder like Clays, so higher speeds won't be a problem.

Enjoy.

150-155 Gr. .45

I like the mass and weight of the old reliable 230 grainers, if they were good enough in 1918 to make angels out of Kaiser Bill's soldiers and ditto 1944 for Hitler's goosesteppers, who am I to change? Mass= Whammo

150-155 Grain For .45 Apc

I know the 150-155 grain bullets exist but, have never bought any.
The reason for them is probablly RECOIL. The "pros" use them in their matches.

Recoil is faster, but I wouldn't say any less. You can, however, feel the difference in weight they bring to a fully loaded gun and transitions are a bit faster.

Glaser Safety Slugs are 140 grains (45acp) and are super accurate from my guns. (1350 fps)

Personally I like 200's or 230's but the 140 accuracy can't be denied (for me).

The 155gr .45ACP load was very popular in IPSC for a while...

Especially in compensated guns, where the extra gas pressures from the heavier load of powder behind that light bullet was put to good use. All contributed to straight-back recoil, and quick recovery time between targets. Lots of fun!

Aguila makes a 45acp round that shoots around 1450fps out of a 5" 45 auto barrel.Not a bad price either.Check it out at Natchez Shooters Supply.

Lee has a 160gr rf, looks like a ball with a flat butt and an almost flat nose, no idea how it works, 200gr swc is as small as I use.
Don :cool:

About 12 years ago, or so I shot IPSC.
I shot a bone stock Colt 1911.
In an effort to keep recoil to a minimum, I used cast bullets weighing 155 grains loaded to major power factor. I shot many, many thousand of them. I haven't shot any for years, but at the time I felt that they significantly reduced my recovery time (less recoil). Based on the number of them that I shot, I don't think I was wrong.
I still have like 1500 of the bullets left. They were from a company called Bonus Bullets.

Resurrecting the 150 grain SWC for 45 ACP

I shoot several different 45 acp pistols. This is not meant to be a debate over the best round, just a conversation on experience with the lighter bullets for the 45. My SAR K2 45 and Springfield XDM dont like the 150 grain SWC but my Sig 1911, Witness Match (CZ clone), H&K P9S in 45 acp, and Witness Hunter shoot the 150 grain very well. I use W231 at 5.5 grains and all of the guns cycle just fine. Accuracy is really good. Felt recoil is less than the 9 mm with 115 grain fmj. While this round is a target round for me, I have shot it at a steel culvert at my farm and at ten yards it punches a nice hole through that steel. I have retrieved the rounds and the bullet looks like a mushroom but it stays together. I have not chronigrafted the rounds but I suspect they are pretty fast. I do shoot 230 fmj through these pistols and like that bullet but those 150 grainers are just so much fun to shoot. I am not a competition shooter but I do punch paper and I shoot many small sticks and pinecones at the farm. I love that light round. Any shooters using the light rounds today besides me? What are your thoughts?

This thread is nine years old. Things can change quite a bit in that time.

Feel free to start a new thread on the subject, but I'm going to lock this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back