Why is the SRH generally considered stronger than the SBH

TxFlyFish

It seems like it is mentioned quite often that the SRH or redhawk is stronger than the SBH. Both platforms are chambered in the 454 and both are capable in handling the hottest loads. What makes the SRH or redhawk stronger?

Redhawk/SRH have larger cylinders than the SBH. That said, I don't know if the new 454/480 SBH received larger cylinders vs the previous SBH's.
As long as one limits loads to SAAMI specs then it's all a moot point anyway.

Jim

It seems like it is mentioned quite often that the SRH or redhawk is stronger than the SBH.

Yes, but that's because people mention a lot of irrelevant crap. :D

What makes the SRH or redhawk stronger?

Take a look at the thickness of the steel, at the thinnest points of the pressure bearing materials. Assuming like or essentially similar alloy steel, the thicker one will be "stronger".

However, unless you are going to be running pressure at the failure level (blow up level) stronger usually doesn't mean much.

The SRH may have a thicker cylinder but the SBH is a stronger design. I'm a S&W guy but
when I'm shooting magnum loads when handgun hunting Im running a Ruger SBH. Other
than hunting there is no need to beat up a good DA with magnum loads. I have a 1964 SBH
that I bought new and it's had thousands of rounds through it with no problems other than
a sheared frame screw.

I'll back up a bit...What does the op mean by "stronger"?

Both guns are available in the same calibers. Both have 5 shot versions in 454 Casull and other powerful calibers. So it comes down to specific design features.

If, by stronger, the op means which is less likely to have a catastrophic blow out of the cylinder and top strap due to an overpressure handload than it might be the Super Redhawk. This due to the design of the frame. Though that doesn't account for the cylinder which is most likely to blow.

If we are talking about the durability of the gun, the ability to shoot thousands of rounds of powerful loads without mechanical fault. Then it's probably the Super Blackhawk. The single action is a simpler and stronger design than any da gun.

But this is a gun forum theoretical question mostly. Meaning that it's a good question for nit pickers and folks who worry too much that their guns will blow up. Either of these guns in good condition will meet any shooters needs for longer than their elbow and wrist joints will hold up. It's mostly a guess as to which is "stronger" because you'd have to purposely abuse the gun, repeatedly, to find out.

In what caliber?

Which do you shoot better? Which carries better? For what purpose is the gun? Those questions are likely more important for most.

tipoc

Last edited:
"Both guns are available in the same calibers. Both have 5 shot versions in 454 Casull and other powerful calibers."

The Super Redhawk in 454 is a 6 shot revolver, not 5.

Back