Why is the "old Winchester Model 12" different?

RebBacchus

Inactive
I own a featherweight Winchester model 12, and except for the unreasonable recoil I love it. I especially like the ability to hold the trigger now and have it fire on pumping. I've been told that is one of the differences between the "old model 12" and the new one. What are the other differences if any?

What are the other differences if any?
Age. ;)

I don't find the Model 12 Featherweight's recoil to be bad at all. Even shooting one side-by-side with a regular Model 12 doesn't feel much different.
I was actually out with my 'featherweight' today with some 1-1/4 oz pheasant loads -- though, mine comes in the form of a Model 25, the original "featherweight" before Winchester modified it for 'tool-free' barrel and magazine removal and rebadged it as the Model 12 FW.

As far as I know, the basic Model 12 design wasn't changed in any way that would change the ability to fire as soon as the action was closed. Every Model 12, Model 25, or Model 12 FW that I have ever handled (from 1924 to early '60s) had been capable of firing as soon as the bolt locks; and had the inertial lock that requires recoil or a forward push of the action slide to unlock the bolt.

While I can't give you specifics on any particular part, I can tell you that nearly every piece of the Model 12 and its derivatives slowly evolved over the years (many of the parts are interchangeable, of course with the explicit exception of anything related to barrels, magazines, and take-down).
Trigger parts had minor tweaks. Hammer struts changed. Hammers changed. Springs changed. Extractors morphed. Loading gates and carriers had several revisions (some solely to simplify and cut costs, it would seem). Action slides changed many times (though usually only minor tweaks). Action slide lock levers changed a bit. Ball bearings used for the safety detent changed size. Bolts had minor changes. And even the shank size of the trigger group screws changed a few times.

But, overall, the basic design carried on until 1964.

I don't remember exactly when, maybe when it went to Custom Shop order only, but maybe before that, but they did add a disconnector. I hear a lot of hoorah about the wonderful ability to hold down the trigger and pump and shoot, but for hitting flying targets I have never missed that capability on any pump.

No proof but my memory says that the disconnector was in the Trap Guns, the last run of Model 12s were, I believe, all Trap guns.

I got a field grade Model 12 (made in the 20s) as my 16th birthday present. I did a LOT of shooting with that gun, including hold the trigger back and pump kind.

Useful for hip shooting firepower, PERHAPS a tiny bit faster than having to pull the trigger each shot. Not much use for anything else, except causing accidents when someone doesn't know the model 12 works like it does.

I have a Browning MDL 12 in 28 ga made but Miroku it has the disconnect.
I've shot a lot of model 12's can't recall one with a disconnect but its also a feature I don't care to use. Perhaps the "Y" model had this feature?

Last edited:
can't recall one with a disconnect but its also a feature I don't care to use.

Pardon my confusion, I am talking about the trigger disconnector, a feature I don't see how it is possible "not to use".

Unless one takes apart the gun and reworks the trigger group. I that what you do if you "don't care" to use it?

Back