Why is S&W 627 (8-shot 357) a $1,000+ gun?

Skans

I would like to get a S&W 627 8-shot 357 in the 2 5/8" version. I really only want to spend about $850 on one, but these things seem to be selling for $1,000+. Are these guns worth the money? Or are they still over priced for what they are?

Mine was worth it to me. However, I have a 5.5" version.
Is the 2 5/8" version new? I've not seen it before. To be honest, the value of the 627 might be somewhat harder to appreciate in 2 5/8" form.
I've kicked around the idea of something like it. But I'd probably try to hunt down a used 327 Night Guard. The price used will be more reasonable and the light weight suits the snubbie design a bit better IMHO. Plus I think it looks pretty sweet as well.

There is currently a 327 snubbie in production, but IMHO, it's mud fence ugly compared to the Night Guard, opinions vary of course.

The standard model has an MSRP of $969, the Performance Center version runs $1249. The 627, the descendant of the Model 27, is the pretty much top of the line for S&W in .357 Magnum, so yes, it will run up there in price. Even the standard model has had a lot of tuning work done on it.

(I will also add that much of the cost of American-made handguns today is the need for companies to build up funds in case of adverse court judgments - "that nasty gun went off all by itself and hurted my widdle pinky, boo hoo" - since the anti gunners have ordered insurance companies not to insure gun companies).

Jim

I have seen the S&W 627 Pro Series 4" barrel ( which I have ) listed for sale at under $850 but not sure of the Performance Center versions ! I'm very happy with mine !

I will also add that much of the cost of American-made handguns today is the need for companies to build up funds in case of adverse court judgments - "that nasty gun went off all by itself and hurted my widdle pinky, boo hoo" - since the anti gunners have ordered insurance companies not to insure gun companies).

You know I never really thought of it like that, but it makes a whole lot of sense. It's pretty sad that in the society we live in today it's perfectly acceptable to sue anyone for just about anything.

The Model 27 you're describing is a Performance Center gun. They have - from the factory, beveled charge holes, and a trigger job; among other nicities.

What it's worth is up the the buyer. But it's not just your basic Model 27 - so it's going to cost a few more $'s.

I've had one in my hand and the trigger was sweeeet. The 44Mag version is on my "short" wish list.

The 627PC 8-shooter retails for over a boat unit ($1,000) and is well worth the money. It has a sweet trigger and overall is simply as fine a revolver as money can buy. I favor mine, which is the 5 inch version:

I have a similar S&W 327PC with the 5 ½” barrel. The balance is excellent. I can’t say I’d be interested in the same size gun with a snubbie barrel. The blast and flash would be ridiculous, accuracy would be limited and ballistics would take a major hit.

Rogervzv’s 627PC or the 327 is a much more useful gun, IMHO.

BTW, those are .38 Short Colt loads in the pic.

Hi, 18DAI,

Just curious, but how many times have you had to ship your Model 627 back to S&W? They are pretty good guns and I am surprised yours had so many problems.

Jim

Boy, y'all with the pictures are tempting me! I really want to hold out for a good used one - should have bought one a couple years ago when at the $700-$800 price range. Yeah, I know, they aren't getting any cheaper....:o

Here's what a good S&W wheelgun can get you.

That is, after you do an action job, install Jerry's springs and an extended firing pin and practice, practice practice!

Yes, its worth it ......( and so is the $1,000 or so you'd have to spend on the older version ...the model 27's )....especially for a Nickel model 27-1 or dash 2 ....

( in fact I like the older versions better !! )....

Just got the 2 5/8 PC. As close to perfect as I've have had in 357. That N frame absorbs the recoil. It's very comfortable with the wood grips. I paid 950 for a used one with less than 100 rounds through it. Also came with moon clips and rubber grips. image.jpg

Yes, the PC 627's are worth every penny. They have good resale value too. Look for a used gun, you'll find something in your range

It is worth it. It is one of those cry once type of choices.

num4.jpg

num3.jpg

Originally posted by James K

Hi, 18DAI,

Just curious, but how many times have you had to ship your Model 627 back to S&W? They are pretty good guns and I am surprised yours had so many problems.

Jim

If you look over his posting history for a few minutes, the answer to that question will probably be fairly obvious.

Mine is a 627 PC V Comp 3" barrel. Nice gun, but not worth 1K to me. Paid less than that for it new on online auction a few years ago.

I've got the gun you asked about in both it's 357 and 44 magnum versions.
They are among the very best of their breed! Dennis

*Warning: Reviving an old thread.*

Anyone got any info to share about the gun shown in Post #9 by "Japle." Full model name? Years made? Number produced? Anything else worth mentioning? It is the first one of its type I have ever seen, and I am intrigued!

TIA

--shinbone

Last edited:
Back